Sunday, November 14, 2010

Six Years seems a long time, but it's not, really...

One more Blogging anniversary is rolling along and while I sometimes feel that six years is really a long time (that's how old my youngest son is!), it's really not that long. Let's see, I've been in this country for fourteen years, been married for fifteen and a half, known my husband for 20 years and... been alive for nearly four decades -- and people tell me I'm still young. So, yeah... not a long time.

Nothing like putting things in perspective like that! Which brings me to thinking once more that I shouldn't be depressed about my birthday next year, but I still am. I do feel pretty "young," but I know I'm not and that's what scares me the most about getting old. Feeling like a little girl in an old lady body must feel so sad!

So, yeah... Today I can't deliver the upbeat "blog anniversary" post I have had for you in previous years. In getting the links, I decided to look at the number of comments. I'd like to be positive and think that they don't really reflect that my readership has steeply declined, but the reality that any folks left reading are probably using a feed reader and don't comment as much anymore. Or... well, maybe some of those readers did vanish, but I know others are still around.

5: Five Glorious Years!  (1 comment by my SIL)
4: Four Great Years (4 comments -- one by my BIL!)
3: Three Meaningful Years (14 comments!)
2: Two Years and Counting! (5 comments)
1: Happy Anniversary, Blog!! (7 comments -- one my own)

And now, for the traditional photo. I really don't know if I have a recent one, let's see... Hmmm, no, not one of just me (I'm the photographer in the family, you see?). And I just used up the ones I could have used for this post, so I will try another one in that series.

So... since the very first post in this blog shows Mama (Mamãe) & Linton:

Here you see us again, six years later!
Look at how much my "baby" grew! My brave boy who will wear an eye-patch 8 hours a day from tomorrow on (thanks for all your encouraging comments).

So, yeah, happy blog anniversary for me!! Blogging is truly a gift. Totally worth the time & energy it takes. I hope to keep on blogging for years to come, even if the medium becomes obsolete. :-(

4 comments:

S. said...

Your number of comments this year already ties your number from last year :)

jo(e) said...

Happy blogiversary!

I think it's true that readers don't comment on blogs as much any more. I know that I don't (and I don't get as many comments on my blog either).

I think partly it's because blogging used to feel like a small tight-knit community, and now there are so many blogs. I think I read more blogs, but comment less.

The other dynamic is that people leave comments in other places -- flickr, twitter, facebook. So they're all scattered and not so much a conversation any more.

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary!

kate said...

Wow, six years! I am one who uses a feed reader and hardly ever comments anymore-- I think it's true about the whole blogging-as-community thing having changed since the beginning-- I know it has for me. But I'm still here! Happy Blogiversary!