Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I never, ever thought I'd like roller-coasters so much...

When I was a child I was always scared of moving too fast. I liked swings and would even jump off a swing, but whenever kids were playing of being swung really really high on a hammock I would get really scared, terrified, even. Note: Brazilian hammocks are really large and made of sturdy fabric and can swing pretty high if one wants them to. They're never put in a frame like the ones here in the U.S., but connected to hangers built on cement walls or between two trees.

Then, when I was about 14 we went to Playcenter, the only "theme park" in São Paulo with my family (it was a very lame park compared to its American counterparts, particularly over 20 years ago). My dad took me to their "roller coaster" (very lame too, "Super Jet" for those who knew it) and I was terrified all over again. I hated it!

Fast forward to 1993 and my trip to the U.S. with K's family (his parents and three brothers).* After visiting several parks in the Orlando area we decided to finish the trip at the Busch Gardens in Tampa. Kumba, their brand new roller coaster, had just been opened that summer. I was really intimidated and we decided to start with a smaller coaster. Scorpion or something like that. I was so scared, but went and, lo and behold, I was really surprised when I loved it! That day I rode on Kumba many times, including on the front seat and I became a true roller-coaster fan.

So today I got to experience another brand new coaster -- Manta! I took the photo below from this website that has a nice and thorough description/review of Manta.

I obviously loved it! I also rode on Kraken, their 65 mph coaster (and have to confess that I got a bit dizzy after that one), but Manta is one of a kind, given that you ride it facing down. It was amazing!

I'll have to finish here because I'm losing power & the cable is in the bedroom where the boys are sleeping. More tomorrow, then! We had a great day!

* I have to blog about this trip sometime. Every time I come to Florida I remember it so clearly! It was my first time in "the land of Uncle Sam."

No comments: