Monday, November 10, 2008

Since We're Talking About Money...

(first, phew! I'm not a lone parent anymore, K is safely back, and putting the boys to bed. Woo-ho!)

Thanks for your responses to the previous post, and keep 'em coming, please... I think that health care costs is an interesting subject, if worrisome. It's appalling to realize that when an unexpected medical emergency arises, such as it happened to my friend Zee, a family could easily go into absurdly high debt, sometimes so high that they go bankrupt. Wow... And I can only imagine how hard it is to spend money on fertility treatments, Meredith... thanks for chiming in (and good thing Finn is here to prove they were not in vain :-).

So... I guess I never updated the situation about the pay (end of post) at my new "job." As it turns out, a few days after I posted about it, I found out that not only was my hourly pay going down, but that they could only afford to have me work for three days a week. First I was quite upset, because I had been counting on that money, but then, after I had my first weekday at home after over a month, I felt that in the end, having Thursday and Fridays off is not altogether a bad idea. At least I can do laundry more easily, provided Th. and Fridays are sunny days, since I hang the clothes out to dry. It was quite hard to have to wash them at night, and hang them up before 7:30 am. My mom, for one, was very relieved, saying that I would finally be able to handle work and the house... well, I hope so!

Thankfully, I started my preparation week and I begin to "teach" online next week (it still makes me a bit mad to think about this "fake teaching," it's actually called "facilitatin," but that's a subject for another post, and I know I should not be too incisively open about this because if my new prospective employers find out what I think about them, it won't be good... so I won't link to them. You can find out who they are from a link in this post [sixth bullet point]). So, with the work at the school and this online gig, I'll make 2K a month, almost enough to pay the mortgage. And I'm happy with that, I really am. We can make do with that.

I'm just really really really happy that I am working after all, following all my angst about this subject this summer. Because... worrying about money? Is one of the worst feelings EVER for me. I hate money, I really loathe it, but that's subject for another time (one of those "issues" that I've been hesitant about blogging, but hopefully eventually will).

And I'm OK for making very little at this work at the school. It's the most relaxing work I've had in ages, really. I enjoy being with the children, I don't really have to do much in way of preparation, and, most importantly, it doesn't stress me out or leaves me nervous and hesitant. I feel confident that I can do a good job, and I have a good time. I can't really complain, quite the contrary. So, I guess this is it for today. I have a kitchen to clean, and stuff to prepare for my second job. This one, I'm not too keen on... I will keep track of how many hours I'm working to figure out how much I'm making per hour. I know I'm working from home and that I'm not preparing most materials (hardly anything), but still... I don't know if I won't feel a bit exploited. OK, more next time...

1 comment:

Renata said...

I hope the teaching "gig" turns out well for you. If anything, I hope the questions will be stimulating enough that you would feel like you are commenting on a blog or forum.