Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Luna Bar in the Car

This is what my breakfast has been lately, either a Luna Bar (not even the breakfast ones, I don't like those too much. Actually, the only one I really like is the Caramel Nut Brownie) or an apple, eaten in a hurry while driving to the school. Sometimes I eat nuts too (trail mix). And... once in a while, a bagel, which is not easy to eat while driving...

You know... to say that I am not a morning person is a huge understatement. For as long as I can remember I've loathed getting up early in the morning. I went to school in the afternoon until 5th grade (in Brazil you either go to school in the morning, 7-12; or afternoon 1-6 and there's also night school), but I remember having to get up early for piano lessons. All my life I've had trouble eating breakfast early in the morning. I don't feel hungry at all, and most of what I eat makes me feel really nauseated and sometimes I almost vomit (I particularly couldn't stand oatmeal when I was a kid, yuck! I really wish i could it it because it's so healthy! Luckily Linton likes it!).

And then my IBS started back in 2006 (looong story). It only happens in the morning and it's nausea (and vomiting if I eat anything) and loose bowels, and only before 9:30-10 am -- even if I have an attack before then, after that time, I'm fine, I can eat whatever I want. I don't feel sick most mornings, only if I get up earlier than usual (around 6:30 or earlier), but I always dread feeling nauseated or sick, and I get afraid of eating anything. Thus... the Luna Bar in the car...

And the faintness of hunger mid-morning. Problem is, the children do not go to lunch until 12:30 (I know! It's late! some of those children ate around 6:30 or 7 in the morning because they have a long commute, but I don't get to decide that, unfortunately) and eating is not allowed in the classroom. I do break the rule some mornings and eat something (even in front of the kids sometimes, I'm so desperate), but generally I don't. Then I'm starving by lunch, but generally there's so much going on that I loose my appetite... So... let's say that having to go to work early in the morning is not something that works well for me.

I guess that it would probably help if I went to bed earlier, but I never do. My child-free time is precious for me and I cherish it. Sometimes I even get to hang out with my husband for a few minutes... oh well.

Sorry for the whiny post. I wanted to follow it up with one about how I figured out why it makes sense to have a lighter, "American style" lunch... but that will have to wait.

No comments: