Monday, November 03, 2008

I Really Wish I Could Vote...

... But I have to wait for five more years, much too late even for the next presidential (re)election. :-( Well, if we could wait for twelve years to officially become immigrants, five years won't be that long a wait for citizenship. This reminds me of my Israeli friend who was only a resident for many years until she finally got her citizenship just in time to vote in 2004.

Anyway... I am excited about tomorrow's election, but also a bit apprehensive because the stakes are so high and previous elections were so problematic, particularly the one in 2000. I am also so sorry that if Obama wins he cannot share this joyful moment with his grandmother. :-(

So... as you vote tomorrow, think of me, because I can't do it, I still "don't count" (I'm not even allowed to donate money to a candidate's campaign -- it's illegal!), but someday I will.

3 comments:

KF said...

Just a quick correction... US residents can donate to a candidate. As a matter of fact I did before I became a citizen. Because you're on a battleground state, you could also volunteer your time to a candidate. I'm also watching this closely and can't wait with anticipation. This was my first election ever.

Rene said...

I'm still sad my vote doesn't really count because I live in such a red state. (Oops, did I give away a secret?)

But at least you're informed and you can talk to people. And hopefully you'll be a citizen in time to vote for Hillary in 2016.

:-)

Aliki2006 said...

I just voted--and as rene said, it's powerful to be informed and to pass that knowledge along.