Wednesday, December 08, 2010

A Mother's Greatest Fear

Reading Katie Allison Granju's blog this year has made me keenly aware of how devastating it is to lose a child. Her experience notwithstanding, my own greatest fear as a mother has always been dying when my sons were (are) still young.

Elizabeth Edwards' death made me think about that today. I can't imagine how hard it must have felt to have to say goodbye to her 10 and 12 year old children. It breaks my heart to think of that. We mothers want to be there for our children, to give our all so that they're happy, loved, well taken care of and the idea that we won't be able to provide that, to be there for them must be devastating.

I'm glad she had time to say goodbye to them and her other family members. Princess Diana's sudden death didn't give her the opportunity and I always felt very sad for princes William and Harry for losing their mother while they were fairly young.

I hope this doesn't happen to my boys, I really do (and it's not for my sake that I think that -- I don't really think that I'll be missing their milestones, etc. It's about them that I feel concern, I can only think of how much they'll miss me and how I won't be there for them. Is that selfish thinking?).

No comments: