Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lovely PA/ Question about "crampy" stomach flu

We're in PA right now and I think I miss living here a little bit. Not a lot, mind you, but PA (Eastern PA at least, I really don't know the rest of the state) is very pretty. Our last three years in PA were very hard, and that made it easier to move away.

I miss Longwood Gardens a lot and I really liked Philadelphia. Well, we have dear friends here and we can always come to visit, that's some consolation. Our membership to Longwood will end in March, though. :(

We had a nice evening there yesterday, the only problem is that Kelvin had another really bad case of stomach cramps. He's been sick since Friday -- I think this is taking way too long to heal!! The poor boy has been eating next to nothing. Yesterday he only ate in the morning, several vegan banana muffins and then drank Gatorade while we had pizza for lunch. Then, after the show he started feeling pain again. He was unable to vomit this time. And the pain was so severe that I urged K (who stayed with him -- I went to Longwood with our friends) to give him some Tylenol which he did.

Question: has anyone out there had experience with a strange case of stomach flu that doesn't have constant vomiting (he only did it 3 times -- Friday and twice on Monday) and no diarrhea, but intermittent awfully strong stomach cramps/pain? How long did it last? (I think six days is a long time to be sick like this!). Did you give your children anything for pain such as Tylenol? K just gave K some Tylenol because he's feeling a  bit of pain.

We did go to the doctor on Monday afternoon. He examined Kelvin, who was feeling fine by then (why do they always feel fine by the time we take them to the doctor?!) and said he was pretty sure it was a virus and just to keep on giving him mild foods. I asked about Tylenol and he said not to give it and just do warm compresses. Do you think it's a problem to give it for pain? Oh, another thing that the doctor said is that a virus with the same symptoms presented by  Kelvin had been happening for the past month in the county where we live, so I think that's really it in the end.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. I hope he's well in the weekend and,  most importantly, that no one else catches this!

2 comments:

kate said...

I'm sorry he's feeling bad! Pedro was complaining a lot of stomach pain (he had a cold but no fever that I knew about) for several days earlier this month. And a lot of kids at my school have been complaining of stomach pains lately, so maybe it's a new type of virus? Hope he feels better soon!

Aliki2006 said...

I'm chiming in late here. Liam had a bad case of what sounds like that same flu last year. It went on for about two weeks!