Sunday, March 04, 2007

The End is Near

From my "Dissertation Journal,"first entry in over seven months:

The end is near. I hope. I pray.

Not in sight yet, but fairly near.

I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet – I will only see it when the defense date is set. It does look like this is it. This time I’m going to really, really finish. I have no choice but finish. Most of all, I want to finish, which is the most important thing.

I care about my research and I’m delighted to see how it’s finally shaping up in spite of my procrastination, my faulty ways. And this makes me very happy. I don’t even dare to hope I can defend and turn it in on time to participate of commencement, but I think I should try. Even though I hate to set myself up for failure.


Maybe my mantra should be, like The Little Engine that Could's:

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!



P.S. Coming up soon: A "light" post with photos from Brazil of some other soothing thing.

5 comments:

jo(e) said...

Seems like "I want to finish" and "I care about my research" are two pretty big motivating factors ....

Of course you can!

Aliki2006 said...

Yes you can! Yes you can!

Keiko said...

That's it, go girl!
Se você terminar tudinho te mando uma barra de Lindt de morango do recheio transparente! hehe, não, não é verdade, mas desde q vc escreveu aquele post, toda vez q eu vou em algum lugar fico procurando a tal da barra...parece que não tem mais mesmo.
Você consegue!
Boa semana!
bjinho,
Keiko

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! But I think you should change your mantra to "I know I can, I know I will." It's great that you want to walk at commencement. Many of my friends skipped walking when they finished and I didn't get that. The journey to a Ph.D. is such a long and trying road, it seems wrong not to formally celebrate its end. I joke that when I finally graduate, I am going to have Luke (he's currently two) drive me to my ceremony. Good for you for making such progress!

t1 Diabetes said...

Hang in there, my friend. eu tambem, preciso parar a procrastinacao... e me identifico muito contigo nesse aspecto.