Sunday, March 25, 2007

Building a (Small) House in Brazil

I found this other online tool called Slideroll which I thought was very good. Too bad one can only upload 100 photos and do 10 slide shows for free. With 30 photos, I'm well into my allowance. I hope you like the show.



This small back-of-the-lot house (called edícula in Brazil)* was built from October 2006 to January 2007 in the lot we own next to my parents' house. We built it so we could rent it and not have to send money to Brazil for property taxes, etc. Later if we want we can build a bigger house in the front part of the lot.

My dad supervised the construction and my mom documented it taking all these photos. I thought those of you who are not familiar with how houses are built in Brazil (and many other places in the world, for that matter) would enjoy to see this. Some other time I'll share my thoughts about the way houses are built here in the U.S.

* (edited to add some more details) In Brazil some people build either a room, or an entertaining area (with a barbecue "fireplace" or a pizza oven) at the back of their house and sometimes rent this room (also called an edícula -- I had never heard of this term until my brother went to college and rented such a room). Some people buy a lot, build a small house at the back and live there. Then later, slowly (because building houses in Brazil takes a long time and costs a lot, like anywhere else in the world) build a bigger house up front.

We decided just to build the little house in the back since we won't be building on the lot for a while. It has around 970 square feet. Two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a living room, eat-in kitchen and small laundry area. There's also an opening/patio in the back for lighting (there's a back window in the kitchen) and hanging laundry.

6 comments:

Tracy said...

That was fascinating, Lilian! I've never seen a house built that way before, and you know I'm interested in that kind of thing. It's neat how the rooms are separated out in the very beginning of the process. Is this is a "typical" house size for Brazil, or it is considered small by Brazilian standards? When you say it's a "back of the lot" house, what does that mean? (Are the lots bigger in Brazil than they are here?)

Very interesting -- thanks for posting this and I look forward to reading more of your comments on housebuilding in two countries.

Laura said...

Lilian this could be a Portuguese house. They are built the same way here (you probably know that already...). Sometimes I watch a program in satellite TV called "Extreme Makeover" where they built new houses in a few days and it's amazing the difference between our houses and American Ones.
Thanks for sharing.

Aliki2006 said...

I agree--very fascinating to see how the house was built!

By the way, I loved the slideshow with your son at the beach! I couldn't comment, though--there wasn't an option to post a comment.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

That is amazing! How great that your parents could take care of that for you. I love your mom's pictures.

Alice said...

This is truly cool! Wow! I love the color of the house! :)

Håndlister said...

Very very nice article. And also photos are beautiful with the big help of slide roll. Thank you for sharing.....