Thursday, March 15, 2007

Guess What?

So, since some of you have been asking, my husband's interview went well, but it was a type of "grilling" that he had never experienced before. He was interrupted by question upon question, when they had told him to prepare a typical colloquium "presentation."After a while he caught on, though, forgot about giving any talk and just tried to "sell" his research in a convincing, applied way, which is not really what "pure scientists" are trained to do.

Last night when I picked him up at the airport (after his plane had to circle over Baltimore and then Philly for over an hour before it finally landed -- while we waited and waited at the cell phone waiting area when we could have waited at home since we live only 10 minutes from the airport) he was optimistic, but not overly so. I did my part, he reasoned, and now we just had to wait. And a short wait it was.

This afternoon, at 5:30 -- little over an hour ago, he got a phone call. They offered him the job.

Yeah, I know, we're still speechless.

I had to share this with you even before we call some of our family members, just because I left you hanging since yesterday. Thanks for all your support and kind words. More later.

16 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow! What fantastic news for you and your family!

Extend my heartiest congratulations to your husband on a job well done. Things are changing for the In Translation Family!

Keiko said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
Nossa, que alegria, que legal Lilian! Parabéns pra vcs!!! Abraço no meu velho e bom professor! Eu sabia, quem me deu minha primeira nota vermelha na vida após minha primeira noite em branco estudando, tinha que ir longe :-))

Choco Pie said...

Wow! Congratulations! What a huge relief that must be.

zabrina said...

Congratulations!! I wish you guys all the best!!! It's really cool to hear good news from you.
BTW, beautiful bd party for Kelvin!!!

ArticulateDad said...

Yippee! Moving on up, my dear friend! Life is grand. Wow. Well, keep us posted (though I'm sure you will) on all the details of what and when and where.

Alice said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is awesome, awesome news!!!! Can't wait to hear the details!!!! :)

Jody said...

Hey! Wow! Congratulations, that's FANTASTIC!

Aliki2006 said...

Hooray! Yay! What wonderful news, Lilian...

Rene said...

Yeah! We're so happy for y'all!

Libby said...

Oh, congratulations, Lilian! That's great news!

Gabriella said...

That's amazing! Congratulations and all the best!

LivedSpaces said...

Hooray! That is FANTASTIC! Enjoy the moment - I don't know you very well, but I have no doubt that you've both worked long and hard for this!

Lauren D. McKinney said...

Wow. Tell him I said congratulations! I guess I can tell him myself tomorrow night.

jo(e) said...

What great news!

kate said...

Wow, I just saw this. Congratulations!!! Wonderful news!

M said...

Yippee! I can imagine how that must feel. We were dancing around the house just because C got an on-campus interview!