Monday, September 23, 2013

The New Semester

(started on 09/02 -- additions are in italics)

I don't ever make resolutions and I don't like them at all (I don't like to set myself up for failure, remember?!), but I thought that Anastasia's "Propositions for a new school year" post was really good.

The semester started a month ago exactly today, BUT...

If I were to have any propositions for this new school year they would be:

1. "Be more positive" (something my eldest son often says to me when we're playing a game and I begin to whine that I'm doing really bad);

2. Grade in a more timely manner, try as much as possible not to let it accumulate; (so far I'm doing GREAT in this aspect! YAY! I hope I can keep going)

3. Have a good relationship with new colleague (the tenure track hire) and try to have a new attitude towards his job (did I really want it? Not really, it's way too stressful). 

4. Try to be less angsty about academia in general. Make a decision to be happy and more positive (which won't preclude being critical and analytical). 

5. Be an even better teacher to my students. Prepare better to teach, help them learn.

6. FFFF: Continue putting family, friends and (sometimes!) fun first instead of work (that's why I need to convince myself that a TT job is NOT for me).

7. In spite of that last item. MAYBE, just MAYBE, try to send something out for publication and try to to go a conference! ;-)

OK, that's enough for now, isn't it?

P.S. a good strategy to posting more is to salvage posts from the draft folder!! :)

1 comment:

jo(e) said...

That sounds like a really ambitious list to me!