Sunday, September 22, 2013

All Doctored Up!

I haven't had a "primary care provider" (PCP) or family doctor in over 3 years (ever since we moved from PA) and this year one of our goals was to finally choose a doctor.

My husband went online, looked at reviews and decided on a particular family doctor. He had his appointment last May, he liked the doctor a lot and thought he was very thorough. It turns out that the doctor is married to a Brazilian woman! (which was just an interesting coincidence, not correlated with the doctor's quality). ;-)

The problem with this practice is that they only see one new patient a day and once I decided to make the appointment they only had openings for October or November. I did go to an OB-GYN in July to get my annual exam (three years overdue in this case), but if I ever get sick with anything else not "gyn" related I need to have another doctor (and I also have other concerns to discuss with a PCP).

Last week K went to another doctor in the same practice and asked the receptionist about making an appointment for me. Luckily, someone had cancelled and they had a slot this past Friday! The problem is that it was at 9:30 am and I taught at 11 am (1h away), so I had to email some of my students a contingency plan in case I didn't get there on time.

Everything was going well and the visit was almost over at 9:46, but then the doctor had a phone call and I waited for over 15 minutes in the room, so I was slightly late.

The visit was short but productive and as a result I will see three more doctors! He agreed with me that it's a good idea to see a dermatologist just to check my numerous moles since my dad had several cases of skin cancer. I also have this small "cyst" that is growing on my left palm and he said that I should see another doctor who will take care of it. Last, but not least, I'll see a GI doctor because of my history of colon problems in the family & my IBS.

So I'm all doctored up now! ;-) And it feels good to know that if I get sick I now have a doctor I can see (K had to go back to him when he had a really bad case of poison sumac/ivy back in June). I do hope I don't have to go back until next year!!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Yay! I have to now do all that, and it always feels a little daunting. But such an accomplishment that you got it done!