Monday, September 30, 2013

Shutdown?

It feels very ironic, but this afternoon we applied for a passport for my 11 year-old-son (he needs it to return from our trip to Brazil in Dec-January). If the government shuts down, there will be a delay to receive his passport. We have 2.5 months, but I still worry.

All of last week I was sick of hearing the news and today I was glad that our local NPR station was doing their fund-raising, so I didn't need to hear a whole lot about this ridiculous debacle.

On the other hand, last Friday I went to a meeting explaining the new health-care options for U#2 already anticipating the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. It was an excellent and informative meeting which demonstrates how everyone is really preparing for this new LAW that Congress is trying to shut down. NPR also had lots of reports on the "navigators" that will be helping people in various cities and states to make informed decisions.

All right. Let's hope that this shutdown has "good" consequences (the only good I can think of is having an effect in the re-election of extremist politicians) and not only disastrous ones.

Sigh...

No comments: