Thursday, September 05, 2013

Let the Grading Begin! :(

For four months grading will be the central thing in my life and the one thing that I will always be thinking of, probably with guilt instead of relief.

I wish I could be more firm about just doing it and feeling the relief more often. Sigh...

I already have nearly 40 quizzes and 40 exams to grade. The biggest disadvantage of teaching language (as opposed to literature & culture, then it's mostly paper and classes tend to be smaller in size) and, consequently, a big disadvantage of being an adjunct or lecturer versus a full-fledged "professor."

And the angst continues, day in, day out. I wish it would just go away, but it doesn't. So I have to keep on blogging about it. (I am mostly happy with the work & students, etc, but still angsty).

I am always keenly aware of my position in the margins of academia. I wish I could feel more at peace about it.

Someday, perhaps. One can hope.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh, GRADING! Every year I think maybe it won't really be that bad. And every year, it really is that bad!

jo(e) said...

I wish grading wasn't so darned time-consuming.