Sunday, January 09, 2011

On Going Back

First, of course, there's the problem of this awful, consummate procrastinator who put off writing the syllabi until the last day. In my defense, I actually I worked on them last Wednesday, but that was the only day I went to campus last week. :(

I have very mixed feelings about going back. I think the students like(d) me OK, but several didn't register for the classes this semester. I knew that some students were not going to take the classes. Some had scheduling conflicts and others just needed to take other classes. I just found out that at least one student took only one semester as an elective 4 credit class. In addition I will have to teach the class for two or three students as an "Independent Study" which is completely  uncompensated (two guys are seniors with scheduling conflicts).

So... yeah. What this means is that these classes are not a sure thing. I don't mind the uncertainty, but it does bother me a bit. I wonder if there is really a future out of this as K would like to think. And then, there's the issue that it's not very fulfilling, but it's work and I should  be thankful for work. Any work.

All of this to say that I'm not excited, but I'll try to do my best for and with the 6 (or 5) students that I do have in one class and 10 in the other. And now I have to go back and revise each syllabus.

P.S. We're seeing more houses tomorrow. I'm not excited about that either because I feel I should be working and not doing that. We need to make a decision soon, though. It's important, particularly because of the interest rates. Sigh. I'm sure I'll feel way better in the morning.

No comments: