Friday, January 07, 2011

Never Say Never! :)

In case anyone out there is curious about our ongoing house hunting, I thought I'd give you an update.

I'm slightly amused to report that we're seriously considering putting an offer on yet another fixer-upper in spite of the fact that K has said emphatically that he never ever wanted to do any home renovations again!

We saw the house yesterday morning and it's not nearly as bad as our previous house was when we bought it. There's no need to redo roof or siding, only in the sheds, the house itself seems to be fine, but there are TONS of cosmetic stuff and other things to do such as replacing floors, adding more cabinetry, replacing appliances and such. Not to mention the cleaning. SIGH.

The house is currently a rental property, with at least 7-8 adults (one elderly) and two huge dogs, so I'll let you imagine the rest (for starters, we had to see the house with the people there). Oh, and it had a fire three years ago, when it was bought by current investor owner and thoroughly redone (the upstairs -- new roof, floors, siding, etc. He only spent 40K, though, so it was well done, but it's basic stuff). We're planning to have a home-inspection before even making the offer just to be on the safe side. It does look OK, though.

So, yeah... I'm laughing about that one. But it's truly exciting, I think, to be able to afford renovations because of the low price and to choose cabinetry (I'm dreaming of a pantry again) and floors and see an ugly house become beautiful again. If this is the house we buy, you'll know all about it. It'll be fun! (& really really tiring)

1 comment:

Rene said...

You guys are crazy. Or at least masochistic. It is fun to personalize things and watch an ugly house become beautiful. I just prefer to view this kind of transformation from the comfort of my couch. I look forward to all the pictures, though, if you do decide to take on this project!