Wednesday, January 05, 2011

I do have some kind of "resolution" after all...

It's true, I generally refuse to have any "New Year's resolutions," but there is one thing that K and I need to work on this year. We desperately need to go to bed earlier.

You see... I've ALWAYS been a "night owl" and I love to be up late and to sleep in the next morning. It's the way my body works. I can't function well in the morning -- that's the only time of the day when my IBS acts up and can be very bad (particularly if I have to wake up before 7 am for a trip or something). That's understandable and all, but...

... we have to take the boys to school every morning and it's just not fair that K must do the get-up-and-ready-for-school routine all by himself just because I need to sleep a little longer because I was up until 2 am writing on the blog or something. It's just wrong, right?

Problem is that poor K has been up just as late because he's doing all the possible calculations so we can make the right decisions as far as buying a house is concerned. (This happens once in a while when we're planning something. E.g. when we backpacked in Europe back in 2000 he was up most nights before of the trip figuring out every single train we would be taking for 28 days). In addition, during the break we were talking to our friends up until 1-3 am most nights, so we kind of got used to that routine.

So... yesterday was the first day of school for the boys and, guess what? The parents overslept and the poor boys got a "tardy" on their very fist day of school! Oh well. :(

That's why this is a sorely needed "resolution."  I know that if we move we'll have to be up late many nights packing, unpacking, and stuff, but another thing that we probably need to start doing is getting the boys to bed earlier so we can have more time to ourselves in the evening. We're not very good with that & the boys aren't generally in bed until 9 to 9:30. (Awful late, I know, we're the worst parents in the planet, blah, blah, blah... the year of cyber-schooling didn't help 'cause they'd sleep at 10:30 pm and get up at 9:30 or later every morning).

OK, post's over. It's the most boring subject to write about, no? But I needed to write it down so I can have some accountability with you guys. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

kate said...

Our boys, which are the same ages as yours (except for Dani, of course) head up to bed at 9pm and by the time they have washed up and gotten pjs on, bedtime story, etc, it is usually almost 9:30. And this is considered early by Spanish standards!

They di have to get up very early for school (7am) so probably they would be better served by an earlier bedtime, but it's hard to manage that here, especially when the days start getting longer (in summer it doesn't get dark before 10 pm!)

L said...

oh Kate, thanks for sharing that! I don't feel so bad anymore... you know that here in the States people put their kids to bed SO early (7 or 7:30pm the latest at 8pm) that I get ashamed of myself every time. So I never ever reveal to other parents that my boys ofter go to bed at 9:30. Sigh.

I really don't know how these other parents do it in the summer, though, 'cause here it doesn't get dark until past 9.