Friday, September 26, 2008

Pre-Emptive Strike

OK, first a quick update on my comings and goings: I came back from Brazil last Monday morning (I was there for only 3 days -- I've been meaning to post since I got back, but it's been hard).

Second, just to recapitulate what happened with my husband: he began to feel abdominal pain last week on Tuesday, in the middle of the night. He was in bed all day on Wednesday. He felt better when Thursday came along, so we didn't cancel my trip to Brazil. Besides, his dad arrived here on Thursday morning. K had a doctor's appointment that day (had he gone to the ER, he would have had surgery already) and that's when they had him schedule a CAT scan. He felt all better from Saturday on.

Yesterday, the CAT scan revealed an inflamed appendix and after talking to several doctors we decided to take him to the ER. I dropped him off after 10 pm and then drove back home (very sleepy). K called me at 3:30 am to let me know that as it turns out, his appendix was probably at the end of the process of infection and getting better. This meant that it was OK now, but it would probably get bad again in the future (weeks or months). When we talked in the middle of the night and then again this morning, K thought that he was not going to have surgery, but then he called me at the school (I forgot my cell phone at home!) and let me know that he had decided to go ahead and have the surgery pre-emptively.

I still don't know how it went. I have to call his hospital room and see if he's there, and then, to go visit him with the boys. I just tried calling, and no one is answering, so maybe he's still in the recovery room. Oh well... Sorry, but that will have to do for now!

2 comments:

t1 Diabetes said...

coitadinho!!! espero que se recupere logo!

M said...

Sorry I'm so late to comment, Lilian. I'm glad to know that K is ok--and you do lead quite exciting lives.