Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mother or Teacher?

I just had to share this before I forget.

When I first thought of offering to teach at my son's school I decided to prepare him so he'd be ready if it happened. When I mentioned it to him, his reaction was very interesting:

"But mommy, you're not a teacher, you don't know how to teach!"

Then I explained to him how for 4.5 years I taught English to children in Brazil and how I taught 2nd-4th grade children, etc. He was totally satisfied with my answer and OK with the fact that I indeed knew how to teach. He's been fine with me being his teacher, he just behaves the same way he does with the other teachers (takes forever to do his work).

When I first told my youngest about coming to school with mommy, however, he firmly said:

"My teachers are Miss M and Mrs. S!"

Oh, OK.

This past Thursday I came back home after staying at the school for an hour so I could see how the other teacher handles the beginning of class routine. We had to come back home because Linton needed to have a diaper for pooping (yes, we're still remain "the family with the poop problem," sigh, I'll let you know when we finally don't have any diapers in the house anymore, we're negotiating that with Mr. Stubborn) and later, when I was sitting with him on the sofa just hanging out, he asked me:

"Mama, why are we going to the school?"

"Because I am a teacher now," I replied.

"No!" he said emphatically, "you're not a teacher, you're my mother!"

Well, indeed, I am. And please don't laugh within his earshot or he'll scream at you, OK?

3 comments:

ArticulateDad said...

Charming. I've just caught up on your last few weeks of doings. It all sounds fabulous. Good luck in your transition, and in figuring out the next steps for your family.

M said...

I think if Wild Man could say something similar he would--he definitely doesn't like it when I tell him that I have to go to work!

Aliki2006 said...

I'm sure it's tough and confusing for the boys--but it sounds like you're handling it very well! Things will settle down soon--it will become the "new normal."