Monday, September 29, 2008

OK

So... I just wanted to let you know that we're OK (although the country is most definitely not -- yikes!).

K was released from the hospital on Saturday around noon and I picked him up (even though the boys hadn't eaten lunch yet). He's feeling better, although the three incisions from the laparoscopy still hurt a bit. I continue to be overwhelmingly busy with the boys, and the teaching, and trying to muster any leftover energy to cook some and try to apply for a fellowship.

Yeah... what fun it is having to decide between cooking and writing fellowship application materials!! (welcome to full time working motherhood, Lilian, now you know how millions of mothers feel and try to manage). I wish I could apply for the fellowship, though. Only 15 days left. And no more energy at the end of the day to do it. No real willpower to think that I have a decent shot (which I probably do, if only I can present myself and a research proposal in a well articulated way).

(Kudos to my friend Keiko in Canada, who's been busy applying for scholarships... I don't know how you do it. And I'm sure you'll make it like I did -- finish your Ph.D. and have the two kids, perhaps two boys too! -- and in less than ten years, I'm sure of that. Mostly 'cause you're over ten years younger ;-)

So, now you know why I haven't been posting...

On a happy note, I just submitted this seminar abstract which I will be co-chairing with a good friend next year (at the most prestigious university in the world). We'll get to present too. It should be fun. She's another expatriate Mama, PhD like me, only from Argentina, just graduated from my department.

And last but not least, for your viewing pleasure, here's a photo I took at Longwood Gardens last time I was there with one of my best childhood friends from Brazil (ah... I wish I could write about that and the other visits we had this year). Some other time. Like one of my favorite songs (It Might Be You*) says...
"I've been saving love songs [photos] and lulabbies [stories], and there's so much more, no one's ever heard before..."
Hopefully, someday... I'll get to post so many of the things that I want to post about. Including pictures, and slide-shows...

*I've probably already mentioned this, but the most amazing thing about this song, whose lyrics were written by Alan & Marilyn Bergman (music by the great Dave Grusin) is that the Bergmans were awarded an honorary degree at my PhD commencement!!! I thought that was unbelievably great. And, this song, if you're wondering, was part of the soundtrack for Tootsie (1982 -- yeah, I'm "old" ;-).

3 comments:

kate said...

The seminar sounds great! And I definitely think you should apply for the fellowship. You can do it! Heck, you've got a Ph.D-- proff that you've got what it takes. Go for it!!!

Keiko said...

Merci Lilian!!

I'm trying...but very very low energy is left by now...
One deadline was today and I realized I had the wrong form, too late...just hope they'll accept it (both forms have the same info, but slightly different format).
The other one is tomorrow and I'm still working on it, another one on Oct 15th, so...you imagine.Hubby in Brazil, single mom business is not easy!!

E porque eu estou escrevendo em ingles??? - Modus operandis - o meu cérebro vai explodir em 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

bum! ;-)

bjinho,
Keiko

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I'll never forget Valentine's Day 2000 == I came home from teaching an evening class to find flowers, a stuffed animal and a note from my hubby, "I went to the hospital"... That was scary -- and made scarier because my hubby was military, went to a military hospital and NEVER went to the hospital... for anything, unless I was there to prod him.

Turns out he had his appendix out. The surgeon had a deep southern accent -- just after we saw a Jeff Foxworthy video with a bit about southern accents and brain surgeons... the memorable line was "what we're gonna do is take off the top of your head and root around there with a stick to see if we can't find that dagburn clot"... which was all I could hear as the surgeon explained the procedure.

Hubby was fine -- of course it took them 4 days to find a doctor to discharge him... as it was during the first Gulf War.