Friday, January 05, 2007

SCARY! It's 16 C/ 60.8 F Outside at 8 p.m.

I'm positively scared with the weather. It's just not right. It's true that we enjoyed playing in the backyard on Wednesday and Thursday, and I was able to work on the yard and the garden a bit, but it's just too warm for this time of the year.

I saw An Inconvenient Truth a month or so ago and I was slightly alarmed (mostly because I already knew many of the facts discussed by Al Gore), but this? 16 C/ 60 F on an early January night? Downright scary. How can some people still think that global warming is not an alarming reality and that action needs to be taken right now?

Jody has documented how her crocus bulbs are sending out shoots already. Mine are too, and I live many hundred miles North of her in Southeastern PA. Not only the crocus, but the tulips too. And some poppies that I planted last Spring are still thriving. I have seen trees and some gardens with flowers on them. What next?

Edited to add: Cloudscome, who lives here too, just posted a photo of a cherry tree that's blooming.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

I agree - this is very disturbing (although a meteorologist from NOA said that the unseasonable weather was due to El Nino again, which I don't quite believe).

I'm currently reading Elizabeth Kolbert's "Field Notes from a Catastrophe" and it, combined with our strange weather, is really freaking me out. I'm actually thinking of altering my research agenda to include global climate change.

Juliet said...

This is scary stuff! Why are people still so careless and in denial when it comes to the world we live in? A world which sustains life as we know it!We should honor the earth, not abuse it!

Aliki2006 said...

Yes, while I was grateful to have balmy weather for our beach trip I was unsettled about HOW warm it was for late December. And it's so humid today!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I think it is going to 70 today. Good Lord.

Lauren D. McKinney said...

It's El Nino, not climate change. Climate change isn't this drastic, not that it isn't happening. But if this gets people worried about climate change, great.