Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Blogging Milestones!

This is my 300th post*, what about that? Well, what this really means is that I don't write often enough, since I've been blogging for 2 years 2 months now. The new blogger is very helpful in that respect, allowing me to see right on my sidebar how many posts I wrote each year. That would be only 5 in 2004, 91 in 2005, 175 in 2006, and 15 already in 2007 -- if I continue in this rhythm, which I hope I do, I will write over 300 posts in 2007, doubling what I already have... Let's see if that happens.
*[Edited to add: this is very disappointing, but 300 posts for blogger includes the drafts I have saved -- so I have actually published only 287 posts -- sorry about that! I won't change the title or delete the first sentence, though... I'll get to the 300 mark in a week or two anyway :)]

First, I want to thank everyone who commented in the previous post. It really helps to know that I can count on the support of my friends in the blogosphere:
* Thanks Sarah, just to know you're there helps.
*Aliki, I truly hope something will come up for me -- as it did for you -- if my husband does get a job somewhere.
* I'm not down at all, wwwmama, and your comment allowed me to find out that I was featured in the last two carnivals of GRADual progress (more on that in a minute) and that really cheered me up today!
* My dear friend Articulate Dad, thank you for your words of wisdom, I truly value your input (and you may or may not have noticed that my SIL thinks you're pretty articulate! :) -> thanks for the comment too, sis'). AD, You are perfectly right, as I have debated here before -- I am not absolutely convinced that I have all it takes to become an academic. I do know, though, that I definitely love researching and producing scholarship. You can rest assured that if I do take this path it won't be because I think anyone expects me to become a scholar just because I'm getting a Ph.D., but because I truly want to do it.
* Thanks for the positive thoughts, Jo(e) and Lauren!

So, I was thrilled to discover that two of my posts had been featured in the fifth and sixth Carnivals of GRADual Progress. I have checked out some other carnivals before, more precisely Carnival of Feminists and the Teaching ones. I even tried submitting a post to the second or third Carnival of Feminists, but it wasn't included, so I felt discouraged about carnivals and didn't pay much attention to them from then on. (One last thought about feminism, I don't like to theorize much, so when faced with the question of how I became a feminist, I just shared a personal story [same link -- I'm trying to get you to read my old post]. And that was not good enough. I felt I wasn't a good enough feminist for them since I didn't discuss "real issues" in my humble post) .

Anyway... as I was saying before my digression, I was delighted that I was included unbeknown to me. In the fifth carnival, my post in response to Bitch Ph.D.'s question about being a mother and getting a Ph.D. was included and wwwmama included my pre-MLA post about academic conferences in the sixth edition. I guess this totally restored my faith in carnivals (big grin), or at least gave me the feeling that I do fit in somewhere after all, at least among other graduate student bloggers. (I'm sure I also fit in nicely with other "mommy bloggers" and expatriate bloggers).

Well, that's it for now. I really really wanted to write a post about Lindt chocolate right now (interesting, uh?), but I'll have to do that some other time. And tomorrow... a change of gears: a heavy-duty mommy post for you!! :D

3 comments:

Keiko said...

Oi Lilian!

I'm back to life!- Unfortunatlly.

congrats for your almost 300th post ;-)

Will write you an email tomorrow with time...now, I've to to finsih a draft for tomorrow, argh!

I'm looking foward to reading your Lindt post! Really!

beijinho,
Keiko

Juliet said...

That's still a pretty good amount. You post more than certain relatives of mine, that's for sure! hehe Congratulations! Looking forward to many more posts from you!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I love this thing from Snap that shows what your links pages look lilike. Very cool!