Friday, April 24, 2015

A Joke that's NOT a Joke

I googled my name yesterday. I do that periodically to make sure that my name is not connected to this blog, but this time I was thinking of the job that I am applying for soon.

My dissertation and academic work is not showing up much anymore, which is something I need to work on, but on the front page, there was a result from a data mining site which made me laugh and laugh and kind of cry while laughing because it is that depressing! 

It disclosed my salary and compared it to other employees of the same institution and in the whole state. And the main point was that mine was one of the lowest salaries paid by the institution, nearly 20K less than the average, and still very low statewide. 

I laughed and laughed and then I saw that they also listed salaries of other lower paid employee here (I'm at U#2 now) and that they were all cleaning personell (custodians). That didn't stop my laughter, but made me a tad depressed...

I still couldn't stop laughing at the ridiculousness of it all, at the officious language of this site that told the truth of my life in such a matter-of-fact way. Sigh...

I can only hope this can change someday! Hopefully soon!

No comments: