Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Perspective

I wrote last night's post while still disappointed and angry about the chair's email -- which I read after a long day and a long drive. (and tone is the first thing that can be misinterpreted in email)

Impulsive, as usual... (I have to be more careful now that I know for sure that I have ADD).

In any case, I don't think my comments here have been balanced at all (either trashing current institution or belittling possible one). The pros and cons list I typed this evening is pretty balanced, actually -- 5 pros and 5 cons for each place. I think I need to put things into perspective, both here and in my head. and I think that this lack of perspective is what leading you to lean towards telling me I shouldn't accept.

Today I was told by my friend who works there that the chair is a very "dry" (we were speaking Spanish, so "seca") kind of person, so that explains her language in the email.

My other friend (the one who sent me the link to the posting to begin with and who has been working for 6 years in current dept and is now going back to Mexico) continues to encourage me to accept and be more challenged and grow professionally.

I emailed my chair to tell her I hadn't made a decision and she said she'd already been communicating with people from the other schools that have that tele-teaching thingy because the course I was going to teach may fall through. She wants to try to pressure possible new employer to let me still teach that class. I don't know if they will want to accommodate her/current school.

OK, still haven't made a decision, but have been leaning towards maybe accepting. I'm pretty calm right now...

My biggest worry: regret after the decision. K is joking with me that I will regret the decision no matter what. Is that really so? :(

P.S. my mom and dad are really against it now. Sigh...

2 comments:

Sarah Sometimes said...

Wow, Lilian, really hard to know what to advise. But I just want to let you know I am reading and sympathize with your indecision (being quite an indecisive person myself!).

BrightStar (B*) said...

I wouldn't dare make a suggestion about which choice is better, because I see pros and cons to both, too! Really, there doesn't seem to be any wrong decision, just whichever decision you feel like you can live with. It's nice to have options and a choice to consider.