Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Doctors & Lunch Date! (with Bonus Nap!!)

Today I had not one, but TWO doctor's appointments with teaching at U#2 in between (Hello Daily 152 mile commute! NPR had a piece on mega-commuters & political engagement yesterday -- K was saying that they forgot to mention poor but highly educated people as a category ;-)

Because of the second appointment at 3 pm (first was at 8:45) I cancelled my office hours and then drove as fast as I could so K & I could go! on! a! RARE! Lunch date! I know, annoying exclamation marks... It's just that such a rare event leaves me almost giddy with excitement! ;-)

During the lovely Indian buffet lunch we had a good idea that may help our in-laws next week. We offered to host the Thanksgiving meal since they are busy working and trying to get ready for their life-changing upcoming move to Egypt. (They still don't have a date, but are preparing because a container will be shipped with their stuff).

The doctors' visits were quick and objective. The first one was with a plastic surgeon (crazy, huh? yes, I know!) so he could take a look at this cyst that is growing on my left palm. Since it doesn't hurt, the best course of action is to leave it alone. The second visit was with a nurse practitioner (I think! or a brand new doctor) with a GI tract/colon practice. We talked about my IBS and when I should have another colonoscopy (next year), given a family history of colon troubles. That was it!

K & I felt tempted to go see a movie and just leave our youngest son with a friend for a couple of hours instead of just a few minutes, but we decided against it & went to pick him up and come home.

So... it was a nice day!

I probably won't be at the boys' Thanksgiving event next Monday anymore (NH actually offered to teach the classes for me, that was nice of hir!) and it's kind of sad to have to teach Monday and Tuesday, but it's my job, I'm being paid to do it and I shouldn't complain! ;-)

Edited to add: we were sooo tired when we got home, so K & I took a nap. He got up after about 20 minutes (he is going to a conference from Sunday to Tuesday and has to prepare his presentation), but I slept from about 4-6 pm!! It was a GLORIOUS relaxing nap! And I'm so absolutely thankful and happy I had it and I can't remember how long it'd been since my last nap... (probably a couple of months)

If only I didn't have to drive 152 miles tomorrow and Friday again! Sigh... This morning I had to stop at a rest area to relax for about 15 minutes (I never fell asleep) before I continued my drive to teach.

No comments: