Thursday, June 06, 2013

Afraid of Summer: Too Much of a Good Thing...

I began this post two weeks and three days ago (on Monday May 24)... so it's hopelessly updated. I wrote a lot, so I'll keep most of it and try to write another post that's more up-to-date. 

(Obviously this is all past nos!) My summer didn't officially start yet (I'll say it does after the kids are out of school this coming Friday tomorrow and after I present a poster at a conference the following Friday) and I'm already "freaking out." OK, OK, I'm exaggerating a little... :) and I'm definitely overusing this expression lately.

You see... I know that there are tons of things that I/we could hypothetically do this summer to be very productive, but I am deathly afraid to even think of them and then just be disappointed after they don't get done.

Sigh...

I know, welcome to my adhd life (and I went to label the post with adhd).

Wow, I do have a "Future Plans" label. How come? I'm afraid of future plans! ;)  No, not really, I love to plan trips and "adventures" of any kind, but I don't like to plan regular things like what I'm going to teach next semester, or what I should try to write and publish in order to have a shot at an academic career. And I run away in a panic from resolutions of any kind like... like...   (please fill a good simile in the blanks, in Portuguese we'd say "like the devil runs from the cross," but I don't like that very much).

In any case, I do want to make some "plans" for this summer, but I'm overwhelmed by the fact that there's so much time and so much I want(ed) to do and... consequently, so many things I'm afraid won't get done! That's why I'm saying up there in the title that I'm afraid of summer.

I started this post yesterday, on Monday, and I'm glad to report I was pretty productive today, on Tuesday against all odds! I nearly finished the poster for the conference next week and I was able to plan four vases with flowers I bought at the farmer's market, YAY!

In any case, just to try to be accountable, here are some things I hope I can accomplish this summer:
  • (ASAP) Assemble a raised bed made of concrete blocks and plant veggies;
  • Weed garden in the backyard, mulch and try to keep it relatively weed free (also ASAP) 
  • Organize the garage more and find misplaced (hopefully not lost!) items (such as ALL our old photos);
Events/trips that are already planned:
  • (tentative) day at theme park a couple of hours from us;
  • Day at the water-park (free entrance for kids thanks to local library);
  • Camp-meeting with my brother-in-law's family;
  • 3-day industry camp for my older son;
  • Camp-meeting here/ Sunday lake party with friends in neighboring state;
  • (tentative): trip to Florida around the 4th of July and my birthday
  • August: trip to New England and Montreal, Canada.
So... yeah... I don't know what else I can fit into what's already shaping up to be a very busy summer! Maybe in July we can do some other things (and obviously, future plans will have to come in a future post!).

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Hope you get that raised bed in--you would enjoy it soooooo much. :)