Thursday, June 06, 2013

iPad-Less

I'm happy with my iphone, but, contrary to my sons, I never had any interest whatsoever in the ipad, so two weeks ago I became the only person in our family without one.

The boys used up all their money to buy their iPad in July 2011. This one became the property of the youngest son when the oldest son bought an iPad mini this past Christmas. And now my husband decided to get one with his grant money in order to read & annotate hundreds of academic papers. He got the one with the most memory and he's super happy! No more carrying lots of paper around.

I, however, think I'll probably remain iPad-less... I don't really see why I'd like or want a tablet. Maybe (just maybe) a Kindle, but still... I really like actual books and I haven't been reading much anyway. It would probably be lighter to carry the e-edition of the textbook I teach with, but... well... I wouldn't want to spend the money if I can do most everything else (email, blogs, etc) on my phone! Otherwise, I tend to prefer a computer, preferably a desktop, for work. I know, I'm old fashioned... sigh... (for a good reason, see below).

I do have to type a lot and using a 13 inch Macbook Pro since last summer ruined my elbow (I'm still suffering with/from mild "tennis elbow" -- I thought I had blogged about it, but I can't find the post!), so I continue to prefer a desktop -- which we don't have at home!! Good thing there's an iMac in my office and I use it as often as I can. 

With all these new devices we have come a long way from when I created my original Meme on technology use years ago, back in February 2006! The changes that have taken place from then to now are unbelievable! Who knows what else the future will bring tech-wise, any ideas?

1 comment:

Rene said...

Do your students still turn in all of their work on paper? I know I absolutely love having all of my class materials and student work on Google Drive. There's a free App for the iPad, but I think it still probably functions better when accessed from a laptop or desktop.