Friday, February 22, 2008

The Light At the End of the Tunnel?

Those of you who have been following closely my almost three year long "dissertation saga" will know what I mean by that title. When did I say I would finally begin to see the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel?"

Do I hear you saying: dissertation defense?

I can barely dare to utter these words lest I jinx myself. It seems too good to be true.
And in face of what's going on with one of my virtual friends, it's almost cruel.

I just sent the requisite emails to schedule it, though, to the dept. secretary and Graduate Program Director, after receiving the green light from my advisor by email minutes ago.

Yesterday while I was writing this post (and, BTW I forgot to mention that my BIL "K3" is getting his c!t!zenship) I received two emails from the fourth committee member who hadn't responded yet and I was thrilled, but decided to wait until I heard back from the advisor (to whom I sent an email right away) to post here.

So, unless something unexpected happens, on April 16, 2008 this journey will be almost over.

April 30, 2008 is the deadline to turn the finalized dissertation in (electronically) to the graduate school. Do you think I can do it?

And you're all invited to commencement on May 23, wanna come? (I know I should wait until after April 30 to invite you, but what the heck, I'm almost there!)

This feels so good!!!!

9 comments:

ArticulateDad said...

Congratulations! One more hurdle. Jump it with grace.

Unknown said...

A million times HURRAY!

Prisca said...

Oh my gosh! How incredibly wonderful. :) Congratulations!

Rene said...

Yeah! I'm so relieved for you!

Unknown said...

W00T!!! Congrats.

Tracy said...

Fantastic! A deadline, a goal... freedom!

M said...

How wonderful, Lilian!

Sarah Sometimes said...

congratulations! I am having happy memories of how it felt to be at that almost-done place, to feel it within reach. happy for you!

Professing Mama said...

You CAN do it! This is so exciting!