Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Moving Along

Things are moving along here in several fronts (finally!).

My parents arrive from Brazil next week on Wednesday night, so, after painting the boys' bedroom, we are now painting the guest bedroom. After all these years (six) of coming to help us and staying from a couple of months to six months, my parents will now have a comfortable place to stay, with a closet all theirs, a dresser and a small bookcase, not to mention a decent bed (ours -- we'll be sleeping on mattresses on the floor until we can afford our new bed). I am also thrilled that we have three full bathrooms instead of one and a half. It's going to be so much better to have long term guests in this bigger house!

The painting job is going pretty quickly this time because I'm helping. We started today -- I painted the window and door frames, as well as the baseboard heater cover during the day and K already painted the first coat of the ceiling, so we'll probably finish tomorrow night. We may even do our bedroom before they get here, which would be awesome! I will share pictures, obviously!

The other "department" in which things are moving along, also finally, is in the dissertation front. I have been talking over email with my committee members and I'm sending a general email tonight trying to schedule the defense. Wish me luck.

And then the hard work will start -- finishing and revising all chapters for submission. It'll be intensive work because I need to have a completed dissertation within a month and a half, if not earlier! I hope things will be OK in the end and that I can pull it of in spite of all the difficulties that I have encountered with my committee. I know that compared to other people's, my problems are nothing, but they do affect me and my ability to continue working. I can't wait to have a date set. Like I've said here before, it'll be only then that I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Ooh, much luck!! You're so close!

t1 Diabetes said...

Yes!!! Good job Lilian! Can't wait for your report Friday... you are doing so much better than me... lazy bum, me.

Prisca said...

Go, Lilian!! I am so proud of you for slogging through this despite all of the formidable challenges you've had in the past 6 months. Keep up the good work. :)

me said...

Good luck with finishing your thesis and with the viva. It's hard work but it's worth it in the end. Here's hoping you get it there and then!