Sunday, November 18, 2007

Obviously... I Had Misplaced It/ About Showers

Well, it was a waste of energy to have felt even slightly stressed out about it, but I had absentmindedly misplaced my wallet and left it inside one of the children's bags at church (these are canvas bags in which we've placed books, crayons, a coloring book and other small items to keep the kids entertained). Those are kept inside a locked closet (I had put them away, actually), so the wallet was safe, but most certainly "lost" until we found it this evening during the baby shower.

Everyone had fun at that event, BTW. I apologize for the lack of modesty, but I can organize "killer" showers (wedding showers too). I like them co-ed (can't stand all women things, never ever have*), with a few silly games (not too many) and preferably some nice heart-to-heart type of advice and questions. My mom was the "master" of such showers and I attended several growing up and really enjoyed them. Those were "brainy" ones too, with techniques my mom "borrowed" from her classroom (she was a GREAT teacher) to make everyone participate and interact with the parents-to-be or bride and groom and not only learn more about each other and the event that was going to take place, but also have fun in the process.

Of course it's very hard to have the kind of interactions I enjoy with a bunch of loud Brazilians and their kids, so we had a bit more of the "silly games" that I would have liked. The men had fun, though, so that already qualifies it as a success I guess. There was plenty of food and a yummy (Brazilian, very tasty and moist) cake. Oh, I didn't really like the baby-food tasting game from my own shower, but I organized one with THIRTEEN different foods (distributed into fifteen large paper plates) and a printed list for them to fill out.
As usual it was fun to see the faces people made when tasting the food. It was also hilarious to see the three guys who were dressed in "diapers" made of toilet paper (I don't think I'll post a photo of that, though :).

*I should try to think about this some time, but I guess I was all for "all girls" until I graduated high school (during which time I didn't have a boyfriend and hung out with my best three girl-friends all the time until senior year when two of them started dating) and it all changed after I met K and we started dating. During all those years we were always hanging out with a "co-ed" group and I figured out I wasn't interested in the girls-only conversations. I never much cared for fashion, shopping and other typical subjects and preferred instead to participate in geeky and philosophical conversations. OK, more on that some other time.

2 comments:

Keiko said...

Lilian, não acredito que eu finalmente achei alguém no mundo que ama chás!!! Somos só nós duas, você deve saber. Todo mundo que eu conheço tem horro à chá, e eu adoro, principalmente organizar! Aliás, sábado que vem tem 1! Quero saber quais sao seus jogos preferidos pra ver quais eu não tenho pra botar na lista, tá?

E essa coisa de botar carteira na bolsa das crianças, eu sou absolutamente campeã, acontece quase todo fim de semana e eu só descubro na segunda quando preciso da tal carteira, aliás, deixa eu ir lá agora tira a carteira da bolsa do zack :-)

Beijinho,
Keiko

pithydithy said...

My own baby shower was co-ed, which was what I preferred. But, having just been to a ladies-only shower, I have to say that there's also something special to me about sitting around with a group of women and talking about women things.

Your shower sounded like a blast!