Thursday, November 08, 2007

Here I Go Again

I didn't think I was going to have the courage to go for it, but I'm applying for three academic posts. After I'm rejected, which I most certainly will be ;) ...

(I may get an interview, but I don't think it'll go further than that -- it'll be just a very inconvenient trip to Chicago [MLA] during the week between Xmas & New Years which I'm supposed to be spending with my family, GRRRR, that's all)

... I'll tell you in which universities/colleges they were, OK? (all three on the East Coast, is all I'll say for now).

Now, if I can only find the time to work on those application materials! It's all due on the 15th, but I can only work after hubby comes back -- good thing he's coming on Sunday, not on Wednesday. YAY! Tomorrow my sister-in-law is coming with her sons to spend the weekend with us. It'll be good to have another adult to talk to again... (sigh)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Best of luck, Lilian!

Dawn said...

You know, just FYI -- Columbus is a nice, inexpensive place to raise kids. I'm just sayin'.

Lilian said...

Hey Dawn, I'd move there in a heartbeat because of the great "neighbors," but I'm afraid there aren't any academic positions for my area of specialty right now. ;)

Rene said...

Yeah for you! Good luck with that.

jo(e) said...

Hey, I've been out of town recently, and am just now catching up on reading your posts and hearing your news. What a tough break! Sending all kinds of hugs your way.

Professing Mama said...

I'm just catching up on your posts, from being sick so much. I'm so sorry to hear about all of this, and I'm wishing you lots of luck on the market!

ArticulateDad said...

Lilian, my friend: The first question to ask (about these or any posts) is "would I want it?" If that answer is no, or not really, go no further. If yes, then you've got to answer whether you believe you've got what they need. Forget the questions of whether or not you've got a chance. Who knows, there are no rules to go by. Learn what you can about the department and institution. Give them a call, and ask them about what the culture is like, what they're looking for, etc. Court them, if you're really interested.

But if your heart is not in it, just let go of it. It's like editing a chapter in your dissertation. If it just won't work, let it go.

You've had some tough breaks handed to you recently. But circumstance doesn't own us. Remember, the first question (before you expend a great deal of energy going through the motions of an application) regards your wants, needs, desires. Only after you've assessed that will you have the energy to make your case.

You're as good as any of them, I assure you. And what's more, you're the best at doing what you do best. Drive your destiny; it's the only way.

pithydithy said...

Hon, I am so sorry that everything has been thrown up in the air like this with your husband losing his job and that now job hunting has all this added stress. But don't be too down on your chances-- you never really know who or what a university is looking for. I know you're great and I hope that you'll happen to be just the right fit for a job that you'd like! (And I'd love to know where you're applying.)

Prisca said...

I love these photos and I'm so glad you are having adult company to help get you through the week. The boys look so very happy. :)

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I am glad your SIL is there with you! And I agree about the job search; even though you feel pressured, make sure it's a job you really want. Look carefully and go with your heart. God Bless you!