Thursday, November 16, 2006

When Things Go Wrong (Updated)

Murphy's law postulates that if something can go wrong, it will. Or, more precisely, when things just can't go wrong because they will cause you great trouble, they do go wrong.

Today was such a day. I was going to go with my husbad to Washington D.C. where we'd drop him off at the airport and then spend the night at my BIL's house, but then, an hour before the time we were supposed to leave, our car suddently broke down. It just wouldn't start. We were already calling for a tow truck from our insurance's roadside assistance and I was at a pizza place getting the boys to eat an improvised lunch when my husband got the car to start again. By then we had already started looking for car rentals for him to drive down on his own and even though the car was now working, we followed through with this plan. My husband left two hours after the time we had planned to leave and got to the airport very late.

Now he's there, going to the gate, but he doesn't know whether he'll be able to fly or not, 'cause they didn't give him a seat. I'm just waiting to see what happens. The flight is scheduled to leave in 35 minutes.

Updated to add: He made it to the flight, but he had to wait until the last minute to find out. He checked in, but they didn't give him a seat, he went to the gate and there things were straightened out. I'm actually relieved that I didn't have to go to Maryland, because I'd be coming back tomorrow and returning on Sunday morning. Now I just need to go on Sunday, much better! I can't wait until Monday morning, though... I just miss him too much (and not just because he gets up with the boys in the morning and lets me sleep a little more :)

OK, so now that I shared today's story, let me tell you how he got to JFK airport (in NY) last Thursday. When he got to the Philly airport, they told him his flight was late and that he'd miss the flight to Brazil if he took it, so, they called a taxi (!!!) which drove him to New York just barely in time to catch the flight (50 minutes before the flight). The airline paid the fare, but he had to pay the 20% tip, 60 bucks. You do the math... It cost almost half the price of his airfare to Brazil!

3 comments:

jo(e) said...

Cars always seem to break down at the worst possible time.

I hope he made it onto the flight ....

Keiko said...

Sobre a lei de Murphy...parece mesmo que ninguem esta livre dela. Veja pelo lado positivo, eu uma vez indo pro aeroporto queria dar $10 (em uma viagem de $30)de tips pro motorista, e acabei dando por engano $100 ! Imagine a minha alegria qdo eu abri minha carteira pra comprar agua no aeroporto e nao tinha nadinha, jah o motorista...provavelmente voltou pra casa contente.

Anonymous said...

My husband's in Brasil too, so I just know what you wanted to say about how they take care of the kids in the morning & how we miss that.. ;) He hates flying there as he always has some kind of problem with his flight. The last time he flew, the air controllers were on strike in Sao Paolo (or someone was, at least, which meant the plane couldn't land. Really scary!) Another time the flight got cancelled altogether and he got stuck there. Then they lost his luggage. It turned up again in Paris a week later!!! We have no idea how it ended up there as his flight went via Zurich. Like you said, Murphy's Law!!