Monday, November 13, 2006

Down Will Come Baby...

... Mother and all.

I know that's not how this song (which has pretty tragic lyrics) ends, but that's what happened to us this Saturday.

Literary Mama has a column with the same name written by Rebecca Kaminsky (which I went and re-read all over again today). In the first installment, she describes how she dropped her month old baby and then used this accident as a metaphor for the pos-partum depression that followed. I truly don't want to regard our fall as a metaphor for anything that is happening or may take place in our lives in the near future, I just wanted to share a scary moment.

Ever since I had babies and I've been climbing up and down the stairs while holding them (both our homes have two floors, plus basements) many times a day, I always think to myself, "What if I fall with the baby in my arms? What if I drop the baby?" Well, it had to happen sometime, I guess...

On Saturday afternoon I was in church with the boys when my oldest said he needed to go to the bathroom. We got out the front side door and started climbing down the steep stairs with my almost 2 1/2 year old in my arms, when he told me he had already wet his pants. I got a bit mad at him and told him to hurry and not to get it even more wet and I started walking faster too. That's when I lost my balance. I had only gone 2/3 of the way down and was some 5 steps from the bottom. I instinctively turned to shield Linton (who's pretty heavy, I should add, at almost 30 pounds/ 13.6 kg) and a friend who was walking by tried to catch me (he only hurt his arm), but I scraped my knee and elbow and fell almost on top of my son, who only had a red arm as a consequence. He started crying and I quickly checked him out for any injuries. Kelvin was quite upset, asking me repeatedly why that had happened and why I hadn't been more careful.

"All is well that ends well" so the saying goes, but it was pretty scary. And I had to drive with a sore knee as well. My right arm is sore from the fall too. I'm glad I was the one who got hurt, though, and not him. I'll be extra careful from now on!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really scary! I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt, but what a scare!

I always have the same thoughts on our stairs, too...

Juliet said...

Oh, that must have been horrifying! I'm glad your little one is okay. And I hope that you are healing up okay.

Caroline said...

So glad none of you was badly hurt! It's so scary to fall -- I've come close so often on our stairs (always carrying one boy or the other, of course), I worry about it all the time...

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Oh that sounds scary! I hope you are feeling better by now. When Buster was about 5 he had a fever during a snow/ice storm and I was carrying him out to the car to go to the Dr.s and slipped on the black ice on the steps. I was so worried about him I took the fall myself and broke my tail bone. It hurt like crazy but I was just glad he was OK.