Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Weird -- SS Administration Says I'm Underage

This is one of the weirdest things that has ever happened in my life as an expatriate in this country. I've been dealing with various service providers (electric, cable, etc) in six addresses for fourteen years and this has never happened before.

We're moving to Virginia, right, so I'm calling the electric company to have service switched to my name in our rental house and they asked me for my social security number. After a while, the young woman on the other end came and told me: "This social security number indicates an underage person" WHAT?

OK, I did get my social back in 1996 when we moved here (as a matter of fact, it's really cute that K and I have almost matching SS #s, just like our cell phone numbers and, coincidentally, the last number on his cell and his SS is 2 and mine is 3 for both!), so if they think that this number belongs to a person born in 1996, then it would be an underage kid, yes. However, I was born 25 years before that! I explained this to her and she's checking.

And now I'm just thinking the same thing will happen if I get the account to be opened in K's name, so I hope it gets sorted out (I'm on hold on the phone still). I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: