Monday, June 28, 2010

I have one wish for the next World Cup

I hope my boys are old enough to watch the games with me/us, instead of complaining that they want to watch something else on Nick Jr. or any other channel! :-(

I have no choice but to put a DVD on the computer or let them play games on the ipod, or whatever keeps them entertained...

Next World Cup they'll be 12 and 10 respectively and maybe they'll be soccer players by then (we'll probably get Linton to play this year already) and more interested in the game.

I was 11 in 1982 -- the first World Cup I remember watching (retrospective post here) -- and my brother was 8 and we watched most games. But then, again, there was the HUGE media hype that Globo television did in Brazil and which left us very tuned into the World Cup. Plus, Brazil had a "dream team" that year... Sigh. Zico, Falcão, Sócrates, Eder, Serginho, etc. I knew the whole line-up by heart (see pages from my journal in that post).

So, yeah, probably the boys will watch in four years. Where will I be in four years? Will I still be blogging? Probably, for me and three other readers ;-).

Of course you know where the World Cup will be in four years:
We're hoping to be there to watch -- maybe even go to the stadium, who knows? (that will be pretty impossible, I guess). Being in Brazil for any World Cup is great (streets decorated, etc), but it will probably we even greater in four years. Now, I hope Brazil X Holland next Friday is a similar game to the same face off in 1994 (we won, obviously, but it was a very nervous game!).

1 comment:

Rene said...

I'm sure they'll get more and more into it, especially if they start playing and y'all get to come down to Brasil where they're immersed in the hysteria.

We're just glad that baby isn't tall enough to block our view as he runs around the living room during the games.