Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Crazy Driving Day & Overnight Stay

Yesterday was one of my two über-packed days every week -- on Tu/Th I teach all my 5 classes, at two universities [three if you count the tele-conference students], totaling about 7 class periods since 3 of the classes are 75 minutes long -- and in addition to all that I'd been invited for a dinner for Brazilian students at U#2.

Therefore... I drove to U#2 from home in the morning (76 miles!), then from U#2 to U#1 (about 50 miles), and then back to U#2... sigh.

The dinner was nice and I met many Brazilian exchange, graduate and undergraduate students and I hope I can keep in touch with them -- I wish I lived here and didn't just commute and had to go back home every day, so I could spend more time with these new friends.

Because of the dinner I stayed overnight at a friend's house. She is a department colleague who moved here last year and I just love spending time with her. We talk non-stop and she's one of the few people with whom I share all my "Academia Angst." We discuss these issues a lot since her story is much worse than mine -- she was denied tenure at the country's Northernmost Ivy-league institution several years ago. They moved here because her husband was hired as a librarian here last Spring and I'm so thrilled to have them as friends.

OK, I have to go get ready to leave their house so I can teach at 11! 

No comments: