Friday, November 13, 2009

I Can't Believe It!

1. I can hardly believe it, but I've had not one, but three or four Christmas cards ready (designed and saved at the photo site) for a week now. I just need to go and order my favorite. And it's November! No, that can't be true! And we had not one, but two "photo sessions"* since the first one turned out really bad. I may scan it and post it here if it turns out cute.

2. I am relieved to acknowledge that the leaf removal (only two thirds done so far) has been nearly painless and quick. In the past two years I had to take care of it all by my sorry self, but my dearest K took time from his busy days and nights sending out applications while trying to teach a class and work a tiny bit on his research to help me. I spent a day blowing the leaves last week (before we went to Canada) and K took the day off on Tuesday to bag them all. You know.. I think he needed a break from the applications. And besides, we were really ashamed to compare our yard with all the neighbors' -- our lawn hadn't been mowed in over a month and we had to get rid of the leaves and do it -- and K did! Oh, I love him.

3. This post was going to have only two items, but a third random one presented itself unexpectedly this evening. We're planning to start a singing group in church and while looking for a song online I found this site that sells old out of print music as well as tons of accompaniment tracks!! I couldn't find all songs I wanted, but many favorites, and I was thrilled, singing away with the demos. Now I can stop translating songs from Portuguese to sing with my Brazilian tracks. Phew!
Note: I'm not a great singer by any means, but I do OK. My range is tiny (lower F to the C above middle C -- it's not that great beyond that, it's not even two octaves), so it's really hard to find songs for me. I'm an alto/mezzo soprano. I'm great at singing bossa nova songs, I did so once at one of our department parties back in grad school.

So, yeah, one more random fact about me that perhaps you didn't know. I like to sing, in spite of not being really good at it. (and a rather lame post, but I really have to get ready to sing tomorrow and it' getting late -- I'm super happy about items #1 and 2, though, and I wanted to share).

* Asking a friend to take a few photos of our family, who's dressed with slightly matching outfits (same color schemes), right after church.

2 comments:

Rene said...

Can't wait to see the photos!

Aliki2006 said...

Good for you! It sounds like you're ahead of the game--I wish I could get myself to that point...and how neat that you can sing--and beautifully, I'm sure.