Monday, March 02, 2009

Knocking on (Pad)Locked Doors & Applying for Jobs

So, I started knocking on metaphorical doors two weeks ago by sending my first email making myself available as an adjunct instructor/teacher/ professor? (no, I think one will never say adjunct professor).

And in my pessimistic view of academia I extend the metaphor a bit thinking that when I'm just sending out inquiry letters regarding adjunct positions that do not exist, I'm knocking on "padlocked" doors... I got a quick generic response saying that I'd be contacted if such a position materialized. Probably the standard answer. I have yet to write to other schools -- the problem is having to tailor the CV to each one, it's pretty time consuming.

Minutes ago I sent out my first actual job application and I may send a few more. K said that I should go after part-time retail jobs too, just in case, so I can do it while I'm still at the school because we need to pay the bills. I'll keep you posted regarding my efforts.

The worse crisis last week for me/us was that I -- like everyone else in the world, I guess -- have not been keeping my one and only New Year's resolution. The thing is I have this irrational fear of contacting strangers and this overwhelming fear of failure and rejection that paralyzes me in my efforts to apply for jobs or contact people regarding adjuncting, but that HAS GOT to stop. I have to just do it. And I'm trying, yes I am. Wish me luck.

8 comments:

Rene said...

Glad to hear more of the determined, "can do" spirit.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Oh Lilian I am sorry this is so hard. It is really one of the hardest things and you are really courageous and strong to do it. You can pull it off too! Keep talking positive and giving yourself all the credit you deserve. You have everything you need to be successful and reach your dreams. Just keep swimming.

Aliki2006 said...

I'm so sorry about all this--I wish I could help, I really do.

Have you contacted tutoring centers, like Sylvan Learning? They are always (around here it seems) looking for tutors in a number of areas, especially in the summer.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Lilian, hang in there. You might look into teaching GED, SAT, GRE, or ESL classes...that would be part-time, and often in the evenings or on weekends so you could keep your other job at the school. One of my friends got a full-time job as a lecturer with an unsolicited letter, so it has been known to happen, if that's any encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lilian, it is brave of you to struggle through your fears for the good of your family. I will cross my fingers for you.

Clo said...

YOU CAN! YOU CAN! You are so charming! You are so amazing!
You WILL receive some rejection letters, but they won't kill you! Everybody does (receive them!)! And then one day you find the job you were looking for, and the satisfaction is guaranteed!...focus on that achievement, and keep in mind statistics, the more you send, the more chances you have...Stay strong Lilian, you have unimaginable resources within you! Much luck and much love your way!

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on your blog and just read about what you're going through. Have you looked into Obama's plan for "struggling homeowners?" Sounds like you might qualify. And, don't sweat the rejection letters. Compared to writing a dissertation and raising kids, applying for jobs is a piece of cake!

Tracy said...

Just checking in, Lilian. How are your spirits? You haven't written since Monday, which is not really like you...