Saturday, June 07, 2008

In Brazil

I Just thought I'd let you know that I arrived safely in my home country.

This trip was different from all the other trips in the past six years because this was the very first time that K traveled with me and the boys. I've already flown to Brazil four times (first only with Kelvin, and three times with both boys), but K always came later the three times he did come (in February-March 05 we came without him).

In spite of the fact that we had tons of luggage to check and many carry on items, the trip itself was a breeze because he was there to help me with everything -- what a relief!
On Friday two of our friends came to pick us up at the airport and then a third friend came to pick us up at the mall (where we ate delicious Brazilian food at the mall's food court). The boys took it all in stride, particulary because the friends we were going to stay with had come to visit us back in April (when I was finishing the dissertation, remember? -- the two other friends who picked us up at the airport had also visited then) and Kelvin had declared that their son Eduardo was his best friend. We spent the day with them yesterday and met many other friends at the church/place where we got married and the school where we worked for many years.
Today we are at the first of two kid's birthday parties and we still have a dinner at my aunt's house -- a packed schedule. The best thing has been seeing my (only) brother and sister-in-law again. I was joking that we see them only every two years and only for two days (OK, usually 5 days or so)...
Now we have to head to the second birthday party, so I'm signing off, but I hope to blog soon.
This is going to be my shortest visit to Brazil with the boys (20 days -- I usually stay 30-50 days), but so far it's been the best. You know, the fact that I'm finally done outweights the uncertainties of our lives and makes me feel more alive, more peaceful, much more "in the moment" enjoying every minute. That feels great! Priceless, actually. Well, I hope to be back soon.

8 comments:

Rene said...

Glad you're enjoying your trip so far. I shudder at the mere thought of traveling alone with two small children, but I guess you do what you have to do.

M said...

I hope the rest of the visit is as enjoyable as the first few days!

Sarah Sometimes said...

sounds lovely!

Clo said...

Lilian, CONGRATULATIONS in bold gold letterd for your PhD!!! you derved it so much!!!! sorry I'm writitng so late, have been ahgain on a sabbatical from the internet....happy you're enjoying being at home! I'm sure the future is bright and you'll find new challenges worth your diploma! You have been an inspiring blogger!!!

Clo said...

PS: It's not that I'm so bad at spelling, I just type too fast and don't take the time to correct...sorry!!!

Unknown said...

Yea! Glad you arrived safely. Enjoy!

Keiko said...

Ai Lilian, que delícia!! Aproveite muito, irmãos, amigos queridos, comida boa e é claro, paz de espírito!!!

beijinho,
Keiko

Cheryl said...

Glad you made it safely. I can attest from experience that driving sleepy is very dangerous. Enjoy your wonderful time with family, friends.