Thursday, June 26, 2008

Antibiotics, Here We Go

So, the nurse practitioner examined Kelvin and said that the procedure is the following -- if there is proof of a tick bite and a rash 3 cm or bigger, they don't even do the blood test and start the child on antibiotics right away. It's not going to be 21 days, though, but only 14 (4 ccs or mls, 3 times a day) and the best thing is that we got the brand name from big pharma where K works and the medicine was for free because of that! I'm glad we waited to get here to get him treated, even if we're saving only about 10-20 dollars of copay. Now we need to see about receiving the refund for the blood test.

I feel much better about this now. Any tips about long term antibiotics treatments? I think it's the second time ever that Kelvin is taking antibiotics in his life. I really don't like medications, but, like we say in Brazil, "preventing is better than treating" [Prevenir é melhor que remediar] (how does this go here? Oh, OK, I checked, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure").

1 comment:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I am glad you have him on antibiotics now! And that you could get them free of charge - that's great! I was worried about K. and I am glad you have such a great doctor taking care of him. (((K)))