Thursday, June 05, 2008

I'll Soon See the Sunrise

I probably won't sleep at all tonight, and thankfully it's not because of dissertation formatting, but because of travel. I have worked hard -- I haven't even blogged or read blogs much -- but no matter how much one works, getting ready for a trip always involves an infinite number of tasks to be accomplished in a very limited amount of time.

I have managed to do most everything, but more things keep presenting themselves as needed. Of course some of these "needs" I have been "making up" as I go in order to avoid doing some of the really boring (albeit important) stuff, like making lists of all the things I've bought for friends and how much do they owe us. I still have to do that "tonight," after (or during) I finish packing our suitcases. That is a hard task indeed because it involves deciding which clothes to take and you know I have indecision problems, remember? Oh, and of course even after I decide which clothes to take, I still have to wait for the drier so I can pack some of those clothes I just washed.

Cleaning the house is important, of course, and I really enjoy certain types of "deep" Spring cleaning, but did I really need to clean like that on the days preceding a big trip? Probably not, but still, the plastic shower curtains look much better now after I soaked them in vinegar to get rid of the hard water deposits, and all the rugs are clean. In my defense, it didn't take long to do these things and the "distraction" with them helped me finish packing some of the suitcases.

I did accomplish several needed tasks that today. The most important was that I was able to mow the lawn (with dry grass) before it began to rain again (it had rained all night). And during the rain I planted the six tomato plants. That's how I looked in the end (I had so much fun working in the rain!)
Here's another shot by Kelvin, who's becoming an accomplished photographer:
I think I may have to take a nap, or else, my IBS will act up. I have to be at to the airport tomorrow at 9 to pick up my husband and we're renting a car and driving to NYC because we're flying from JFK to Brazil.

The worse part is that I'm not taking my laptop, so I won't have access to my older photos, and I won't be able to finish updating the photo blog :-(

I'll try to write about Brazil, however. This is the shortest trip ever with the boys -- only 20 days. I usually stay at least a month. I'm OK about coming back, though, I already miss my plants. I just wish I could know whether I'll be able to enjoy them for long... :-(

2 comments:

M said...

Have a good trip, my friend. And try to get a little sleep. :)

Anonymous said...

Lilian, this is a bit off topic, but you have the most beautiful yard and I had to comment about it. So big and flat and green, with tall trees. It looks fantastic! Have a wonderful trip. PS--like the glasses!