Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman Birthday Party

This post is precisely a month late (the party was on April 20th), but I had to write this before posting about last Sunday's party. In my defense, most pictures were taken with my brother-in-law's camera and he had to send me the CDs with them.

Lots of people came to Kelvin's party -- his friends from school, from church, neighbors and former neighbors. The party was jam-packed with activities, led by my dear, long-suffering husband ;-) (thanks honey, my apologies again for being so busy with the food ). In the picture above, the kids are playing some traditional Brazilian games in our front lawn. Maybe they exist here too, but I'd have to ask someone about it. Oh, how about you? This particular game is called "lenço atrás" [handkerchief behind] and the participants sit in a circle while one one of them walks around and stealthily drops a handkerchief (or any piece of fabric) behind someone, who then has to run after the first person and try to catch him/her before s/he reaches the original seating place. If the person is caught s/he does the catching, if not, the first person has to go again -- do you have that here? Birthday boy had fun, and waited for his turn.

Here you can see my husband landing in his spot before our friend Karla caught him.

After these games outside, the kids moved to "Studio G" in the garage. Poor K, who had never watched a Fetch! episode in his life, printed out several activities from the website for the children to do. If you click on the picture to make it bigger you can see that the "mailbox" on the left was the cat carrier -- I don't even know if they used, it though. All the activities were done in a competition between boys and girls. I must note that only the older kids got involved in this activity.



The younger ones, like my nephews in matching shirts, played at the sand table or rode bikes or scooters on the driveway.

The reason K had to be in charge of all activities with the kids was that I still had to frost the cake and help with the cooking. Here you can see me applying butter cream frosting to the cake (after all these birthday cakes I've become a pro). The cake itself was a big failure, it tasted OK, but it was really hard. I used the same cake that Caroline made for Ben's birthday, but I guess the problem is that I tripled the recipe. :-(


The failed cake. I was too tired to color some of the frosting for his name, so I just used jelly beans (Sunburst).

Obviously, my sister-in-law was in charge of the decoration. She made two Ruff Ruffmans out of poster board. Here's the first one (the second was in the garage, see photo above), with Kelvin's name in Fetch! style (the white dots were made with chalk!! -- you can click to enlarge):
(she also smartly made a Happy Birthday banner to cover the ugliest border in history -- it's GONE! I can't wait to post about it).
Happy Birthday, Kelvin!
Smiling for grandma's camera after blowing the candles:
After the happy birthday, K was so tired of entertaining the kids that he didn't even stop to think that they had not had time to eat. Smart parents either brought them in or brought food to them outside (I did have food at a table in the family room, next to the garage, so kids could get food there), of course those who were hungry and not completely engrossed in play, came in to eat, look at my nephew here: At this party we had the very first Piñata ever at our house (we don't much like to give out candy, I know, mean people, our family), and of course it was a big hit (K bought an empty one and filled it with Mini Snickers, Reese's cups, Kisses and Starburst candy. Note: we don't have piñatas in Brazil at all): Of course they had lots of fun, here's little brother trying to break it:
The breaking of the piñata took so long (and involved replacing the string, since it detached from it, that the younger kids went to play in the swingset:After many people had left, the closest friends remained and kids and adults played on the driveway, making chalk art and riding various toys:
(even my mom and dad tried the razor scooter, I took pictures, but won't post them).

They played until it began to get dark.It was a LOVELY day and party, in spite of the small problems (children not having time to eat, cake that went wrong).

8 comments:

Prisca said...

It looks like a great party! I'm really impressed that the "Fetch!" theme came off so nicely. Your sister in law is a gem to have made those giant Ruffs.

Renata said...

It sounds like it was a wonderful day. There is a variation of the handkerchief game here called Duck Duck Goose. The child pats the other kids' heads saying "duck" until he/she decides to say "goose". Then the same chasing goes on.
Interestingly enough, I was talking to my sister in Brasilia just last week about a pinata and she told me that they fill balloons with candy and/or party favors there. It may be a regional thing there. It definitely is much easier to pop :-) I have yet to see one of these pinatas burst open the way it should.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fabulous party! FYI-you can also fill pinatas with little toys and healthier snacks if you're really against candy, or just want to reduce the amount of candy. As a kid though, I was never into the non-candy items.

Rene said...

If this is your idea of a failed cake, you are way too hard on yourself.

I think I may be in trouble, because you sisters have set a very high birthday standard that I'm not sure I can live up to.

Keiko said...

Ah lilian, que divertido!

Agora quero fazer um nome desse de brigadeiro e beijinho, ficou lindo!
E o K divertindo as crianças pareceu ótimo!

Ah sim, e sua casa é um mundo né? O que ajuda na diversão!

beijinho,
Keiko

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Looks like a great party! You and K. worked so hard to make it great. The kids had a ball from the pictures. I've played that handkerchief game as a kid too, and Duck Duck Goose.

Happy Birthday K.!

Anonymous said...

Tô vendo que essa festa foi muuuuito divertida!!!

Como é esse Pinata?(minha incapacidade tecnológica não permite q eu coloque o til em cima do n =D
Aqui no Nordeste a gente tem uma brincadeira chamada 'quebra panela' que é famosa no São João e nas festas de aniversário. Antigamente era feito só com uma panela de barro, mas agora também estão usando umas bolas de assopro gigantes (como chama isso no Sul? são aquelas bolas que enfeitam festas de criança). Então, eles enchem a panela de balas, chocolates e afins, vendam a criança e entregram um cabo de vassoura ou algo do tipo pra criança tentar quebrar a panela. Os que estão ao redor vão dando dicas, tipo, pra direita, pra esquerda, mas ela só pode bater na panela uma vez.
Eu particularmente sempre entrava na fila, mas fazia questão de não acertar a panela, ou então acertar devagarzinho, pq enqto vc tentava tirar a venda e se orientar pra onde os doces estavam os outros guris já tinham pego quase tudo =D
Esse pinata é assim também?

Renata said...

Haha! I was just googling for ideas for a Fetch party for *ahem* this afternoon (I got the idea last night) and this post came up! I had NO idea about the show back then.
You can see how things roll around here right now :-)
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.