Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Acknowledging YOU!

I don't know when I'll get around to posting more about the defense and the dissertation-end roller-coaster, but I wanted to let you know that this is what I wrote at the very end of my four pages of acknowledgments (yes, I did have that many people to thank, if you want to read it, just email me for the PDF of the dissertation):
Last, but not least, I want to thank my “virtual” friends and academic bloggers, who supported me unconditionally and from whom I learned that one could finish a dissertation successfully and still be a good mother, to have a family, and a life [added now: and here I bow to you, Tracy (private blog), and Professing Mama, as well as my other fellow blogging academic, graduate student, and ABD mamas in my blogroll]. Special thanks to Alice Lapuerta [unfortunately no longer blogging] and my sister-in-law [Rene - real name was inserted here], who read several dissertation chapters and gave me feedback.
So, my dear friends in "Blogland," consider yourselves acknowledged and thanked!!! You were truly a blessing in my life during this whole journey and worth thanking in the dissertation and beyond. I'm really thrilled that blogging has impacted my life in such positive ways and is still doing it. I want to blog more about this sometime, but professional blogger Heather Armstrong has put it all so well here. Blogging rocks!

And, thanks again!!! YOU rock!

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow, Lilian! I'm really quite moved by this, that you wrote this in the actual copy of your dissertation. Thank you for doing that, and for being a friend, fellow academic, Mom, and fellow renovator.

Blogging connections are quite remarkable, aren't they? How lucky we all are to have "found" each other!

M said...

You are actually the one who rocks, my friend!

BrightBoy said...

Congratulations on the Ph.D. What do you do, though?

I'm a Sophomore in college (will be a Junior next year) and already I'm asking myself the same thing.

Oh, and I think it's really niced that you thanked all your blogger friends.

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO!!!!

Alice said...

LILIAN! You just threw me off my chair ;) Thank you so much for acknowledging me! WOW! I am more than honored. I didn't think I was that much of a help though in giving useful advice, but it was fun reading those chapters anyhow.

Lots of hugs!!!!

Alice :)