Thursday, April 19, 2007

Another Dissertation Distraction

*updated*
(and another blog post named after someone else's blog -- this was the previous one. I don't read these two blogs, I should add ;-)

So, as if I didn't have enough dissertation distractions in my boys, reading blogs, checking books for upcoming book reviews (watch this space!), now there's the house hunting...

Two days, 18 houses seen, and tons of questions floating around our minds. I think it's going to be extremely hard to make a decision since the houses we're seeing are just so different from one another! My friend Tracy asked for photos... I'm taking tons (295 today, and I didn't even take photos of all houses), but I don't think it's very nice to share lots of them here, so I'll just put up a few. If anyone else is curious, I may post photos online somewhere and I can give you the URL via email.

This is the house we liked on Sunday and which is already under contract. We're absolutely OK with that since even though it was pretty nice inside, there were lots of things to do, like removing a bright green carpet and the carpet in the kitchen, replacing a wood paneled wall, without mentioning the basement that needed to be fully redone. It was a home full of possibilities, but we really couldn't afford to do all the necessary renovations.

Now, some highlights of today's real estate adventures!

Would you buy a 100 year old farm house? It has an old barn in the back and even an ancient outhouse!! I had to open the door and peek inside. It brought reminiscences from a long time ago when I was about 4 or 5 years old and visiting my paternal grandparents. They had no running water in the old house (photo of my grandparents and children in front of their general store here), my grandma cooked on two wood stoves, there was a nice and cool well room and two outhouses in their beautiful lush gardens and orchard. I was impressed at how clean and spotless my grandmother kept the outhouses. She waxed the wooden surface until it shined. They also used old newspapers, but I remember toilet paper when I was there.

Now, modern bathrooms are pretty interesting. Particularly the colors that people paint them nowadays. What's up with all these bright red (or burgundy) half baths? (there were more, but I wasn't taking pictures on Sunday).












Let's see what else is ethical to share here...

Hmmm, what about a full acre of land, with a superbly refinished and decorated (albeit fairly small) house -- professionally landscaped grounds, granite countertops, beautiful cabinets, hardwood and tiled floors, you name it (and with nothing really left to do)?(I had forgotten the next two houses and had to come back to share them with you)

Would you buy a (row)home with this "great" view from the back?
Not just power lines, but a drainage ditch:
Nice, huh?

Oh, and what about an older home (on 0.5 acre) with three sheds? (we can't imagine why so many sheds... two must be just not usable).I'm only including a photo of this shed because I don't know how to make a photo collage yet half the house happens to be this nice shade of blue. Would you buy a house this color? The blue house is actually across the street from the farm house with the barn and outhouse. We thought about buying it just because there were some great plants inside (of an otherwise empty house), particularly six or seven bonsai trees (hubby loves bonsai), but I think the plants are not included, so we changed out minds. :)

And... what about cookie-cutter "McHouses" from the early 1990s? We saw four for sale, basically neighbors, side by side. These cookie-cutter neighborhoods make me gag, but I may as well end up in one since they're comfortable and have lots of closet space (a MUST for our messy family, or, should I say with this family with a messy mama?), are full of light and the floor plans please my extremely picky husband (he should have been an architect, I tell ya!). Or in a town/row home -- we saw several of those too...

As you can see there are many options, most of which are basically at the very end of our price range (yikes!). It's going to be tough and... I'm so curious to find out which one is going to be "the one"!

11 comments:

Rene said...

Love the burgandy half baths--although wood floors and granite countertops also sound divine. We look forward to visiting you wherever you move. Happy hunting!

Tracy said...

Fun! Thanks for sharing!

There are really some doozies out there, huh? Houses that you cannot believe are actually on the market. What about the one where everything was already done/landscaped? Was it too small for the family? Although you know I'm a renovator at heart, sometimes I think it might be nice to have had all of this stuff done for me!

New, "cookie cutter" homes are a good option, though, so don't rule them out. Our first house was like that; I can send you pictures if you like. We didn't have to worry about anything breaking down, everything was fairly neutral, and as you note the newer floor plans are very open and full of light. The only real downside is that they're so... blah. Takes a lot of work to add charm to a cookie-cutter house!

You'll find the right house, and you'll know it when you do. Believe me!

kate said...

Well, you may be overwhelmend with so many choices, but it sounds fun, too, to see all the possibilities. Here in Spain the only options are flats or row houses, so not much room for character and individuality (not to mention green space-- though we can't complain on that front as we have an end unit so we have some yard in the side as well as the back.)

Libby said...

Good luck, Lilian. House-hunting can consume everything in your life, can't it? You start imagining the life you'd lead in each place, wondering about the people who decorated/built/inhabit the house, etc. etc. It's endlessly fascinating!

Unknown said...

Love the one with the nice yard and granite counter tops! I think you should move right in!

Jody said...

I remember the days when we were pretty overwhelmed, too, and I have absolutely no advice. Except, have fun because all those possibilities are really quite exciting.

We had to narrow it down a little by time of building. Hubby couldn't do the whole lead-paint/asbestos-linoleum-glue thing again, so we ended up in a cookie-cutter mcmansion. Painted all cream by the selling company, so I'm actually eying those dark bathrooms and thinking, hmmmm.

Dark colors might be a nesting thing, a warmth thing, right? Someone could probably do a whole post-9/11 series on housing trends for the frightened. (The house-decorating parallel to all the horror movies they're cranking out these days.)

Anonymous said...

Our first house was a cookie cutter, sort of...there weren't a bunch of the same model all in a row, but it was one of several models in the subdivision so I know what you mean. As Tracy said, a big upside is all the money you'll save in home maintenance (at least for the first several years). We live in a more unique home now, but it's close to 20 years old and despite being recently remodeled there are MANY more maintenance expenses that we never experienced in the neighborhood of new cookies. Every property has pros and cons, good luck finding the one that is right for you.

BTW, I was reading a blog yesterday and the author just happened to mention that she gets 5,000 hits a day. I mention this because she typically only has 10-30 comments per post with 5,000 visitors, so again, don't feel down about your numbers.

Aliki2006 said...

Remember all my house-hunting sagas? I think the 100 year old farmhouse sounds lovely...! I know what tracy is saying--we were so convinced we wanted a cookie-cutter brand-new home, but as we visited more and more of them they just didn't feel like us. I think we're too sentimental about old homes and their charms.

You'll find the right one--really you will. It will "speak" to you!

Keiko said...

Que difícil, não?!

A gente vive pensando em comprar uma casa, mas nosso apto eh tao conveniente, e tb ficar pra sempre pagando...

Agora, o banheiro vinho, um luxo só, hein?!

Feliz Sábado pra vcs!
Beijinho,
Keiko

M said...

I love, love, love the shed comment! My husband's family lives in the country, where every family has at least 2 sheds, and his mom has 3--all of which are full of stuff. Did I forget to mention the attic that is also full? I love my mil, but she can't throw anything away.

Juliet said...

Ooh! I just love looking at houses! House hunting is a really exciting time! Hope you find something good. ^_^