Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Party Design? Ask My S-I-L!

Everyone seemed to enjoy the cake pictures post, so I decided to follow up with pictures of our party decorations. Tomorrow (oh, probably even later today, I need to link to an awesome article!) there'll be more serious reading here, OK?

If you, like Clo in her lovely comment, thought that I'm good in party decoration and design, think again. My sister-in-law is the really bright one in that department and she helped me decorate for Sunday's party as well as Linton's first birthday party last year. I'm also showing her stunning work for her son's first birthday mega-party last year below.

OK, the train party decoration was the joint late-night (OK, all night :) work of me and my hubby, who arranged the train balloons on the wall.

I made and decorated the cake (last picture in the previous post), but my SIL did the rest. She used an extra table cover (they were from Kelvin's 1st birthday) and cut "ones" on it (for hanging from the ceiling) and from it (for the wall). I thought it was a brilliant idea. The magnetic/white board in the back has the party favors - a magnetic small photo of Linton with his birthdate on it (OK, it was my idea to put it there).

Now, my nephew's party:
My SIL cut and hanged paper streamers on the wall, and the pictures of the bears and other animals on the wall (taken from her son's nursery decoration) she made and colored herself.













She also made the party favor bags herself and this yummy and cute bear cake.

The white cake with the crooked an uncentered name was my responsibility, as well as the cupcakes (those were pretty, though :)

I thought of writing a separate entry about Sunday's party, but if I don't have time, here's a picture of the cake (which I decorated with some help from a friend with the red frosting) and my SIL's great decoration ideas again.

Not only is the name not centered and the letters too thin, but the picture is not centered either (OK, I fully admit it, I am a perfectionist :)

I thought the idea of hanging the two character baloons from the ceiling was just brilliant! I would have tacked them to the wall, which wouldn't make for the great effect achieved by the "depth" of the decoration scheme. I had cut out green letters for his name, but my SIL had the idea of decorating them with red crepe paper with a great effect!

(The party theme was Veggie Tales - I don't think you have those in Europe, do you? - and since I only bought the baloons for the two main characters, Larry, the cucumber, and Bob, the tomato, the colors were red and green, very "Christmas-like.")
Note: The red and green cake "skirts" come from Brazil.

3 comments:

Alice said...

Your SIL is awesome! I am really impressed, first of all the creative ideas and then all the patience to do this...WOW. Can I hire her for Dominik's upcoming birthday? ;)

Clo said...

Lilian, I'm serious, you guys should get in business! You got me so insipred...For Milo's second birthday we'll do the airplane theme! the pictures are fabolous, it must have been a fantastic athnosphere...and how did the kids react????I bet they were stunned!

Anonymous said...

WOW--Okay, I see now what you mean about awesome decorations...you guys need to go into the business of party planning for kids!