Monday, March 06, 2006

(Kids) Birthday Cakes Revisited

Last week when I was planning for my son's 4th birthday party that took place yesterday I thought it would be fun to post pictures of past birthday cakes of my sons, most of which I decorated myself (!). (Reminder: you can always click on the pictures to see them bigger)

For Kelvin's first birthday, I made the cake, but it was decorated by my friend, who has a degree from the Rhode Island School of Design in, I don't know, "cooking" or "domestic arts" (from back in the 70s, it's something they don't have anymore)

My mom was here for his 2nd birthday and she made the cake and decorated it just like every birthday cake I ever had - covered with coconut. I made and decorated the cupcakes. The little "candy balls" in the front are typical Brazilian party sweets.


My son loves trains, so last year I took my first foray into frosting cakes, and I went all out, making this train cake I saw in a cake decorating booklet. My husband and I stayed up until 4 am frosting rectangular shaped pieces of cake - which we then threw out after the party because we didn't want anyone to eat the unhealthy food coloring. It was fun, and I think it looked great - it was definitely worth the effort, so check it out from manyy angles!


When Linton turned one I decided to use the same stuff I had saved from Kelvin's first birthday (I LOVE this "acqua" green, and it's also the color we painted Kelvin's nursery when he was born). It doesn't look bad, does it?

I'll let you know more about yesterday's party in another post. It turned out great, everyone came and we had a crowd (17 kids and 15 adults), but everyone enjoyed themselves, particularly the kids.

9 comments:

Juliet said...

Love the photo history of birthday cakes! :-) And Kelvin is just a little over a year older than my little one.

Sarah Sometimes said...

very impressed with your cake baking and frosting--also love the snowmen pictures!

Clo said...

WOW Lilian, you are a star!!! Why don't you cater bithday cakes for kids partyis, you'd be immediately the Best in Philly~!!! i never saw something like this, I am really really impressed! and hungrly...I think I'm heading over the boulangerie!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELVIN!!!

Rene said...

Hi Lilian!

The train cake is definitely my favorite--very nice! Also, I wanted to thank you for the "silly" title, which I've stolen, hopefully with your permission. Oh, and other than losing my bag, Paris was great and my kids and I (kids, of course equals students) leave Thursday. Yeah! I'm really excited. Have a good week and good luck as you continue with the dissertation.

Ana said...

Ai os brigadeiros... que tortura!! Nunca comi brigadeiros tão bons como os do Brasil. Este ano voltamos lá em Julho e vou-me encher de brigadeiro!

Scrivener said...

Those cakes are all absolutely amazing!

Anonymous said...

Threw out the cake because of icing?!!? maybe try finding a natural way to colour the frosting so you dont have to chuck it! lol

Unknown said...

Hi, Nice info about birthday cakes. This is the first I am visiting your site.
Kids Birthday Cakes | Kids Cakes Online

Mira said...

Thank you for sharing such great information.
It has help me in finding out more detail about birthday cakes for kids