Thursday, June 19, 2014

My Academic Blogger's Dream Come True: A Conference Blogger Meet Up!

As old-time readers will know, there are few things I like better than blogger meet ups!! (Here are some past ones). I've lost count, but I think I've met more than a dozen friends I made through the blog in "real life!"

Today's meet-up was special to me because it was completely unexpected! Every conference I've been to since I started blogging back in 2004 I've walked around looking at people and wondering if they also blog and whether any of my blogger friends may be in attendance. And I longed, really longed to be there with someone who read my blog and who really knew me. 

Today, it happened. This morning I was looking at the schedule and saw a name. I went to facebook and messaged her and then went to her panel where I introduced myself and we talked before she gave her paper. It was only a day which it passed way too quickly. We didn't have much time to talk and I hope I didn't annoy her with some of my questions, but it was truly AMAZING to finally get to meet M!!

I hope you enjoyed the conference and that we meet again in the future! I know she's not really blogging anymore and that's ok. What matters to me is that for nearly 8 years we interacted through our blogs and became friends. I hope she liked meeting me too! I'll see her tomorrow once more and then we leave. Too bad most blogger-meet ups are always so fleeting! :-( Sigh...

I still can't believe it happened, I'm so thrilled I can't even concentrate and finish my paper!

2 comments:

feMOMhist said...

I've met two bloggers recently but since I blog anonymously it is this whole internal ethical dynamic of do I disclose or not!

Heidi said...

Oh, that's exciting! I'm glad you got to meet another blogging friend!