Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Mystery of the Missing Photos

I'm indulging in my favorite obsession these days (OK, last Friday and tonight): dealing with our thousands and thousands of photos! I began to do this because I decided to compile photos from the past 11 Thanksgivings, given that this may be our last one with K's brother's family (they will probably soon move).

I am very close to having all of our photos in one place -- an external hard drive that I bought last year. However, in the process of trying to transfer all the photos, I found that some months were incomplete or even nonexistent!

After looking for back-up CDs and DVDs from 2003, I finally figured out where some of the files were stored -- in an extra hard-drive inside our old desktop computer, one that isn't even connected to the internet!

So since I started writing this post I already recovered some photos I thought were lost, i.e. November 2003 and 2005.

November 2008 remains a mystery, though, I cannot find photos of that Thanksgiving anywhere! :(

Dealing with photos is a great "mental hygiene" for me as we say in Portuguese (it means relaxing activities and it totally does NOT have that meaning in English! NYC actually has a department of health and mental hygiene, which I gather should mean "mental health! :-)

In any case, apart from the small frustrations associated with the missing photos mystery, I'm enjoying a lot my "mental hygiene"! ;-)

P.S. This has got nothing to do with anything, but I thought I'd mention that toilet paper is actually called hygienic paper in Portuguese! (papel higiênico) This is totally the kind of comment that I abundantly make in my language classes -- random word association language tidbits. Particularly when a word has an "inappropriate" usage. Hihihi! (no examples of that sort here, though! This is a respectable blog. My classroom is respectable too, except when I go on these random digressive teaching jags!) :-D

No comments: