Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hope

After last week's meeting I'd been a bit worried about next Fall's schedule.

As usual, I'm beyond exhausted by all the driving and all of the teaching and just thinking I'd have to keep on commuting 5 days a week next year was pretty upsetting. (sigh...)

Well, this afternoon, NH stopped by my office and at the end of our brief conversation he had the idea to suggest a mixed schedule: M/W mixed with Tu/Th. That way the class would still meet for 5 class periods a week over 4 days and I wouldn't have to teach on Fridays.

I talked to the department secretary who deals with scheduling and we brainstormed a bit. She also called the registrar's office and they said that such a thing would be possible, but I'd be teaching in two different classrooms (M/W & Tu/Th).

So... I'm hopeful, BUT, I still need to ask them to pay more for these two classes, they've been literally exploiting me these past two years (last Fall and this Fall) with me teaching a 5 day a week class and being paid the same as for a class that meets three days! I wish they could compensate me retroactively because this is NOT fair. (and the meeting with the chair totally confirmed the unfairness!).

I'll keep you posted!

No comments: