Thursday, May 23, 2013

Out of the Driver's Seat

We can't talk about these issues, my husband and I, we end up fighting. He doesn't buy it that the problem is that he is a tenure track professor and I'm not. He thinks that I have to view this experience of having to submit as a "character development" opportunity and, basically, switching to coarse language that I generally don't use, "suck it up." Of course he's right in a way, but I'm also right in another way.

All this to say that the discussion about the syllabus that my "new boss" and I were having (through emails back and forth) was quickly over. While I was able to give suggestions and he was asking for my input, he gets to decide, he's in the driver's seat. . So... I suppose I have to just sit back and enjoy the ride, right? Ha ha. ;) It's true that it's less work for me. Especially with the way the course is structured...

... I'm firmly against using class time to watch films and we'll be watching 5 films in class during the semester.
... I think that the last film is super-ultra-violent and depressing and yet that's the last one we'll see and end the semester in a bitter note.
...I think that it won't make a lot of sense doing chapters from a grammar book together with watching this films (IN CLASS, less time to actually do language learning!), but we'll see.

Yeah... let's see what kind of "ride" this will turn out to be. I think I'm reconciled to it now. Sarcasm and irony always help me.

No comments: